Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Quest: Mind Games! - Issue 28

Location: Domain inside the Crystal Castle.

Our intrepid heroes have entered the inner most chamber of Occult’s Castle. They observe her performing the ceremony with the stolen scrolls and the 4 people she had stolen as well. The area is guarded by beasts never seen before by anyone from Earth but a select few.

Approaching the ledge, but staying low to avoid the line of sight of the large creatures. Adamas motioned for his companions to stay low.  As they all survey the situation below, he realized with a start that everyone was looking to him for direction.  The return of his memories have certainly also brought back a confidence he hadn’t realized he’d lost, but the events of the last few days have changed much.  He’s gone from being an individual contributor to a leader, from knowing nothing of his past to realizing he was created for a time such as this.  His resolve firm and he waved the team back from the ledge before they can be spotted. 
 
Adamas grasped his amulet and “thinks” to the team. “Obviously, they are conducting some type of ritual here.  We need to interrupt it to prevent them from accomplishing their goals.”
 
He turned to face Elwood, “Can Harvey disguise us again, this time as the vaguely human shaped guards?  Hopefully that will prevent them from noticing us, at the same time, I think we are expected.  Once we all spread out, I’d like you and Harvey to wait here for a few minutes, then have Harvey create an illusion that we are coming down this hallway, perhaps making some noise… I realize this may bring someone to investigate, so I’m depending on Harvey to protect you.  Please let me know if Harvey has any issues with this plan.”
 
To The Cure, “I need you to wait until you’re disguised, then head for Agent America .  I’ve lost a good friend recently, and I don’t intend to lose another.  He looks unconscious, wait until a commotion starts, then see what you can do for him.  I have seen that you can protect yourself, but your first objective is getting him to safety.”
 
To DarkStar, “I figure you already know what to do… Donna and the innocents have to be removed from this situation.  With a force field around Occult, you won’t be able to get to her immediately… try to approach without raising an alarm, and when the commotion starts and they are distracted, get them out.  You may have to fight your way through the beast to get there, but I know you are the best man for the job.”

Remembering his slip on the crystal plains Joshua swore to maintain proper comm-protocols while inside the devil's den. I can't believe I let Agent's abrupt departure effect me like that. Too many lives, the world itself s at stake, we can't afford to not stay focused. Reasserting his own mental discipline DarkStar focused his thoughts through the amulet to Adamas. "Diamond Jim, wouldn't hurt to remind the 'Team' to keep comm-procedures, this deep in the belly of the beast." Taking a moment to peek at the chamber floor. "Do as you, will but I'd say the time for subtlety has passed. We're close enough I could spit on that four-faced creature down there. Just give me the word and I'll leap down there and jump "little sister" and the others to the backdoor. I'm sure grandpa and uncle will be happy to welcome them home."

While Adamas finished giving instructions to the Team Joshua opened his thoughts to Doctor Arcane. "Get ready Old Man, we're about to make out move. Have the backdoor ready. I'm bringing 'little sister' and her friends home as soon as possible. The witch has our 'departed friend' tied up at the moment. One might say he's compromised. I'd warn the others but they'd just say I'm being paranoid. They might be right but I'm keeping my eyes open anyway"
 
Finally, facing Magus, “We have to bring that force field down.  Can you tell anything about it, or how that might be accomplished?  I know realize we were created for similar purposes but with very different abilities.  I can bring brunt force to bear, but you may be better equipped to handle this than I.  I will follow your direction in this.  Though my powers were created by Magic, this is not my strongest area; I would actually consider it my weakness.”

"It's a good plan 'Jim'. It forces them to split their forces. If you and your 'brother' ... " Nodding at Magnus " ... can keep drag down that force field and keep the witch busy, I'll be back before you can blink an eye. If not ... then all of this is for nothing. One last thought . . . last time we ran into one of those barriers it was powered by charges. You might try that power-stunt you've picked up since then to knock it down if comes down to brute force."

Magus glanced over at Adamas with a look that told all that can see it – Magus is pondering a plan of action as well. Using the Amulet of The Arcane, Magus spoke telepathically to ‘The Team’, “I was thinking of something a bit more subtle actually. If our invisible traveling companion here could create an illusion around the four apparent sacrifices, of the four apparent sacrifices, perhaps Darkstar could teleport in amongst them and teleport them outside the citadel without anyone taking notice. As that takes place, I could dispel the force field surrounding Occult, and as her shields drop our fine leporine friend here could create another illusion just in front of her and her four altar guards. The illusion would need to be a continuous loop of her and her four altar guards behaving as they have been. To put it a bit simpler, try to recall the continuously recycled trick you Yanks use in all of your super-spy films – the scene where the super-spy places a picture of a room in front of security camera; in that exact same room, in order to trick the person manning the security camera into believing that he is looking at an empty room while all the while the agent extraordinaire is making off with the rooms contents.” While his teammates visualize that analogy, Magus continued, “While the rest of the rooms guards stand about aware of our deception, we could confront Occult head-on and acquire the scrolls with little resistance. On his return trip, perhaps DarkStar could pay a visit to our incarcerated teammate and teleport him to safety as well. With any luck we could have the scrolls by that time, and we could all make good our egress with only a small measure melee needing to take place.”

Adamas listened thoughtfully to Magus’ response thoughtfully.  He focused again on the group, "Occult is powerful, and I doubt she'd be taken in by a ruse of that magnitude.  I've never been much for stealth though, and maybe Magus understands what is going on here better than I.  Where I was created for brute force to deal with enemies like the Star Devourer, he was trained to deal with the villainy of the Domain.  I am willing to give his plan a try.  Worst case scenario, we fall back to the original plan, without the initial illusions I had discussed." Looking at DarkStar, "To tell you the truth the fact that the slumped figure at the back of the hall might not actually be AA had never even crossed my mind.

Elwood moved to the back of the wall and took a timid sip of his flask. He signaled to the team with a thumbs up that Harvey had cast the illusions and everything was ready to go.

**WHOUMP**

DarkStar reached for Donnah. When he touched her shoulder he felt her disappearing. Her particles started dispersing. He watched in horror as she turned her head to look at him.

Magus stared intently at Occult as she waved her hands over the 5 scrolls. He was amazed when 1 of them started to come apart and little pieces started to drift away as if carried on a subtle breeze.  Then another scroll burst into flames and was consumed by fire.

Adamas watched in horror as the man standing behind DarkStar burst into flames.

All watched the same pattern of events occur as the third scroll and second man turned to stone.

Then the fourth scroll and other woman dissolved into water.

Magus saw Occult pick up the 5th scroll and start the words of an incantation.

DarkStar looked in Donnah’s eyes as her being was pulled apart by the wind. Her lips moved without making a sound.

“Help Me, Please!”

DarkStar noticed the strange bracelets on Donnah’s wrists were not coming apart. DarkStar had never seen Donnah wearing these bracelets before. Suddenly the wind turn and starting forming around the bracelets rebuilding Donnah back where she had been before but now she had been transfigured. She was now the Earth Elemental soon to be known as BREEZE.

DarkStar did not notice but Adamas, Elwood, Magus, and The Cure did. All the others had reformed as well and he was surrounded by Earth Elementals.
FLAME
WAVE

STONE

Occult finished her incantation and looked up. She quickly saw through the illusions. “You dare try to fool me with mind tricks. I am the Master of the Mind. Fools we are under attack. Look around you. Defeat them.”

The Domain beings looked from left to right, in front and behind them. They could not see any enemy to fight.

{GM Note: The Illusions were rolled to hit as Mind Control attack. Occult was the only one that the attack was not successful on.}

Occult snarled at her minions’ incompetence. “Fine I will bring another to deal with the Illusionist”. She started performing a summoning spell. Her minions slowly take their weapons and start poking the space in front of them trying to find the invisible invaders.

The four elementals groan and strain as if trying to resist another’s will. It appeared as part of them wanted to attack and part of them was resisting the urge.

{GM Note: Because of the sever change in circumstances I did not use anyone’s actions for this turn with the exception of Harvey.  All PCs, except Harvey, will have 2 actions in the next issue. Please when providing your inputs let me know if you decide to not use both actions for this turn}


< Due Date: July 28th, Actions? Replies?>

Changes Characters stats while in Domain

Adamas – Agility no change, Carrying Cap is 3,666, and HtH is 1d12
Agent America – Agility no change, Carrying Cap is 1,097, and HtH is 1d10
DarkStar – Agility is 11, Carrying Cap is 27,696, and HtH is 3d10
Elwood – Agility no change, Carrying Cap is 53, and HtH is 1d2
Harvey – He is a magical or imaginary being so his ‘stats’ are unaffected.
Magus – Agility no change, Carrying Cap is 852, and HtH is 1d8
The Cure – Agility no change, Carrying Cap is 85, and HtH is 1d3}

QUEST
Current Conditions:
Adamas                        Hit Points: 47    Power Points: 78           Invulnerability: 24
DarkStar                       Hit Points: 83    Power Points: 110         Invulnerability: 30
Harvey                          Hit Points: 81    Power Points: 90  
Elwood                         Hit Points: 9      Power Points: 54  
Magus                          Hit Points: 34    Power Points: 73  
The Cure                       Hit Points: 22    Power Points: 79  

-------------------------------------------------
DarkStar

Fan meet poop, poop meet fan.  Crap

As DarkStar is out of his element, I'm going to leave details of the assault to the "Champions" ;)

Heads up  The Scrolls are the mission, but this once you can probably expect DS to purposefully be "off" mission and focused on saving Donnah. Just way it's going to be. So any plan we/you come up with please integrate that into it regardless how dangerous it might be to him personally.

Willing Sacrificial Lamb
John
----------------------------------------------------
Adamas

Tom,

Is the figure at the end of the room Ion(AA)? and where are we? right side, left side, neither, both?

Thanks,

Jon
------------------------------------------------------
GM

Yes, the figure at the end of the room is Ion which is the disguise AA was wearing.
 
You are on the right side. The team is the 6 markers in a row.
 
 Tom
-------------------------------------------------------
DarkStar

OOC: Or . . . it really is Ion and we're being set up???
(Yes paranoia, thou name are Joshua Rose, and a Rose by any other name is still ... eccentric)
------------------------------------------------------
GM

Or isn't it: paranoia, thou name is John R.
Tom
---------------------------------------------------
DarkStar

Hey Gents

Jon if you have anything in mind as far as a battle plan can you let us know. If not I'll think I'll have DS come up with something this weekend. I'm not sure how familiar you ate with those things in the Chamber but if Adamas memory is on the mend he'd know we better attack as a team with the mission goal of the scrolls in mind when we do

The odds are a bit ugly if I remember those guys are what (player knowledge only) I think they are.

It'll give me something to do to de-stress. Store inventory next week. Place has been a mad house.

Oh and after Jeff's little twist with the return of Soldier you can bet paranoia levels are high regarding the idea of whether that is our "Ion" or Occult's Ion. ;)

Later Guys
John
---------------------------------------------------
Adamas

Adamas IC: Approaching the ledge, but staying low to avoid the line of sight of the large, creatures Adamas motions for his companions to stay low.  As they all survey the situation below, he realizes with a start that everyone is looking to him for direction.  The return of his memories have certainly also brought back a confidence he hadn’t realized he’d lost, but the events of the last few days have changed much.  He’s gone from being an individual contributor to a leader, from knowing nothing of his past to realizing he was created for a time such as this.  His resolve firms, and he waves the team back from the ledge before they can be spotted. 
 
Adamas grasps his amulet and “thinks” to the team. “Obviously, they are conducting some type of ritual here.  We need to interrupt it to prevent them from accomplishing their goals.”
 
He turns to face Elwood, “Can Harvey disguise us again, this time as the vaguely human shaped guards?  Hopefully that will prevent them from noticing us, at the same time, I think we are expected.  Once we all spread out, I’d like you and Harvey to wait here for a few minutes, then have Harvey create an illusion that we are coming down this hallway, perhaps making some noise… I realize this may bring someone to investigate, so I’m depending on Harvey to protect you.  Please let me know if Harvey has any issues with this plan.”
 
To The Cure, “I need you to wait until you’re disguised, the head for Agent America .  I’ve lost a good friend recently, and I don’t intend to lose another.  He looks unconscious, wait until a commotion starts, then see what you can do for him.  I have seen that you can protect yourself, but your first objective is getting him to safety.”
 
To DarkStar, “I figure you already know what to do… Donna and the innocents have to be removed from this situation.  With a force field around Occult, you won’t be able to get to her immediately… try to approach without raising an alarm, and when the commotion starts and they are distracted, get them out.  You may have to fight your way through the beast to get there, but I know you are the best man for the job.”
 
Finally, facing Magus, “We have to bring that force field down.  Can you tell anything about it, or how that might be accomplished?  I know realize we were created for similar purposes but with very different abilities.  I can bring brunt force to bear, but you may be better equipped to handle this than I.  I will follow your direction in this.  Though my powers were created by Magic, this is not my strongest area; I would actually consider it my weakness.”
 
OOC: Adamas’ first attempt at leadership, we’ll see how it goes; certainly open for discussion if someone has a better plan. Adamas plan is to hang around the edge of the ledge in the middle of the room, and use his heightened speed to assist whoever needs it most.  He realizes his “plan” does not take into account the dozen or so guards around the room, and is focused more on smash and grab, but that’s worked for him and the team in the past.  He also realizes he can’t be everywhere at once, so priorities are:
 
1)      Occult must be stopped.  The scrolls must be retrieved or destroyed
2)      Donna and the other innocents must be protected/rescued
3)      Agent America will not be left behind
4)      Support the team, Elwood first, Adamas is still a little unsure of Harvey , as he again attempts to scan the passageway for anything with his heightened vision.  The Cure second, Magus third, and lastly DarkStar as he is most familiar to Adamas, and viewed as most able to take care of himself.  Adamas is still unfamiliar with the powers of his other companions. 
 
He will certainly instigate trouble by attacking guards/beasts at range to get them to come after him vs. going after his team mates.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
DarkStar

OOC: Hey guys. With my schedule this week, I'm not sure I'll have much "muse' time before Wednesday’s deadline. Sorry if DS's response trips a couple others up but I just can't wait the last second to see how everyone responds to Jon's battleplan.

Also I know I goofed with DS last month, but  think we've all forgotten about not using "real" names. I know a few of us don't even have hero "codenames" let alone Diamond Joe alias's.  I think the departure of Agent America led to a team wide breakdown in communication discipline  (lol) Later gents.


DarkStar IC: Remembering his slips on the crystal plains Joshua swore to maintain proper comm-protocols while inside the devil's den. I can't believe I let Agent's abrupt departure effect me like that. Too many lives, the world itself s at stake, we can't afford to not stay focused. Reasserting his own mental discipline DarkStar focuses his thoughts through the amulet to Adamas. "Diamond Jim, wouldn't hurt to remind the 'Team' to keep comm-procedures, this deep in the belly of the beast." Taking a moment to peek at the chamber floor. "Do as you, will but I'd say the time for subtlety has passed. We're close enough I could spit on that four-faced creature down there. Just give me the word and I'll leap down there and jump "little sister" and the others to the backdoor. I'm sure grandpa and uncle will be happy to welcome them home."

"It's a good plan 'Jim'. It forces them to split their forces. If you and your 'brother' ... " Nodding at Magnus " ... can keep drag down that force field and keep the witch busy, I'll be back before you can blink an eye. If not ... then all of this is for nothing. One last thought . . . last time we ran into one of those barriers it was powered by charges. You might try that power-stunt you've picked up since then to knock it down if comes down to brute force."

While Adamas finishes giving instructions to the Team Joshua opens his thoughts to Doctor Arcane. "Get ready Old Man, we're about to make out move. Have the backdoor ready. I'm bringing 'little sister' and her friends home as soon as possible. The witch has our 'departed friend' tied up at the moment. one might say he's compromised. I'd warn the others but they'd just say I'm being paranoid. They might be right but I'm keeping my eyes open anyway"




OOC: Tom just checking to see if I have the Chamber icons correct.
 - Are the round things columns?
 - Is the force field is represented by the purple circle around Occult?
 - Checking to make sure, the scrolls are with her behind the force field?
 - I want to teleport the innocents back to where the Doc's can pull them back to our dimension asap. I want to make sure I have the sequence of events in my head right to make that happen. Is a check list possible (lol - damn really miss Cybil)

Unless Diamond Jim or the Old Man need a response from DarkStar I thing that cover's Joshua's pre-attack comms. A soon as Adamas says "Go" DS will leap amongst the innocents and teleport them to safety as soon as Tom says is possible. Any tweaks I need to make to that let me know.

Thanks
John
-----------------------------------------------------------
Magus

> MAGUS’S IC RESPONSE <

Magus glances over at Adamas with a look that tells all that can see it – Magus is pondering a plan of action as well. Using the Amulet of The Arcane, Magus speaks telepathically to ‘The Team’, “I was thinking of something a bit more subtle actually. If our invisible traveling companion here could create an illusion around the four apparent sacrifices, of the four apparent sacrifices, perhaps Darkstar could teleport in amongst them and teleport them outside the citadel without anyone taking notice. As that takes place, I could dispel the force field surrounding Occult, and as her shields drop our fine leporine friend here could create another illusion just in front of her and her four altar guards. The illusion would need to be a continuous loop of her and her four altar guards behaving as they have been. To put it a bit simpler, try to recall the continuously recycled trick you Yanks use in all of your super-spy films – the scene where the super-spy places a picture of a room in front of security camera; in that exact same room, in order to trick the person manning the security camera into believing that he is looking at an empty room while all the while the agent extraordinaire is making off with the rooms contents.” While his teammates visualize that analogy, Magus continues, “While the rest of the rooms guards stand about aware of our deception, we could confront Occult head-on and acquire the scrolls with little resistance. On his return trip, perhaps DarkStar could pay a visit to our incarcerated teammate and teleport him to safety as well. With any luck we could have the scrolls by that time, and we could all make good our egress with only a small measure melee needing to take place.”


> MAGUS’S GOAL(S) <

Nab the four ‘human sacrifices’, the scrolls, and Agent America - and if possible - put the ‘royal beat down’ on Occult.


> MAGUS’S OOC RESPONSE <

Regardless of how ‘The Team’ decides to take on Occult – Magus will use his Elfsbane spell on the force field that surrounds her.

This should be fun – with any luck we’ll be able to get out of here without too many injuries. It would actually be nice to see ‘The Team’ walk away from an encounter without a million and one bruises for once. lol :p

Tom, if you need additional actions or dialogue from me – let me know – I’ll try to get it out asap.


Talk to you all soon,

- Kev
------------------------------------------------------
Magus

OOC:

I was just re-reading my response for this issue and wasn't sure if I had properly conveyed my intention with the first illusion that I was suggesting Harvey create. When I suggested that the illusion be "around the four apparent sacrifices," I literally meant around them. That way DarkStar could teleport in between them and not be seen, because he would be 'shielded' by the illusion . . . hopefully.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear to everyone.

Talk to you guys soon,

-Kev
----------------------------------------------------------
DarkStar

OOC: only thing I would suggest, if Adamas gives the okay, is the Illusion contains an audio component to dampen the Whoump of DarkStar's combat jump.

Excelsior
John
------------------------------------------------------------
Adamas

IC: Adamas listen's thoughtfully to Magus response thoughtfully.  He focuses again on the group, "Occult is powerful, and I doubt she'd be taken in by a ruse of that magnitude.  I've never been much for stealth though, and maybe Magus understands what is going on here better than I.  Where I was created for brute force to deal with enemies like the Star Devourer, he was trained to deal with the villainy of the Domain.  I am willing to give his plan a try.  Worst case scenario, we fall back to the original plan, without the initial illusions I had discussed." Looking at DarkStar, "To tell you the truth the fact that the slumped figure at the back of the hall might not actually be AA had never even crossed my mind.  Does anyone else have any thoughts?  Harvey? Elwood? Cure?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------