Monday, March 26, 2012

The Wraith: Here We Go - Issue 21

Location: Megalopolis PD Crusher Crimewave Task Force HQ

Detective Broyko asked to talk with Manta Lad in his office and Dr. Morrow wanted to discuss the stealth chemical with Black Orchid.

In Det. Broyko’s office, He opened his desk drawer and pulled out one of those quit smoking gums and started chewing it with more vigor than was required. He looked up at Manta Lad. “I understand your desire to save Manta Man and the rest of the Crusaders. I know they are important to you but would Manta Man want you to put rescuing him above capturing the Crushers? In this situation what would Manta Man do?

Please think about it and send Starbolt in here please”.

Manta Lad felt like he was eight years old again. He left the office without a word.

“Starbolt. Broyko, like, wants to talk at you next...” he mumbled sullenly.

Manta Lad left and Starbolt entered the Task Force Leader’s office. Det Broyko placed a hand on his shoulder, “Son, I really like you but you need to stop thinking of yourself as a sacrificial lamb. Manta Lad looks up to you and he needs your guidance. Do you really think the kid has the experience to lead this group?”

“This team needs a leader and from where I sit it is either your or Black Orchid. She has the intelligence and willpower but you have the strength and charisma.”

“I agree with you that they know there is a new set of heroes in the game but if you want a diversion don’t split your team. I would be glad to supply our SWAT team to attempt to bash in the front doors, if you would only ask.”

The Detective’s comments caused Starbolt to pause for a second as if considering his words carefully. "Detective, I don't consider myself expendable, but I don't want the team to think that I would ask them to do more than I would ask of myself. I will discuss the situation with the team. Sending your team to the front door to get their attention would be greatly appreciated."

In the Task Office Crime Lab Dr. Morrow reviewed Black Orchid’s chemical. Dr. Morrow smiled in appreciation of its simple design. “So the chemical would provide what I call ‘Standard Invisibility’ but the wearer’s body heat and sweat will cause it to break down.  Minimum exertion on a person with typical endurance would provide about ½ to 1 minute of use. Over exertion would cause the chemical to become unstable making the wearer visible.”

“In your situation there will be more than minimum exertion but the heroes would have higher than typical endurance to balance this out. Most of your team can flight right? I wouldn’t recommend a flyer carrying a non flyer to the roof. Too much exertion, hopefully you have a teammate that has a portal or teleportation power that could ferry the non flyers to the roof. I would also recommend not applying the stealth chemical until you are at the Citadel. Maybe hiding on a different roof top or in an unmarked van until it is time”

Black Orchid responded, "True, I did not have time to stabilize it further. I believe I may be able to make it last quite a while on myself, as I can exert exquisite control over my body if need be. I do believe that the Emerald Dragon could take me to the roof, and especially if we are doing this attack at night, I could envelope us in darkness until we reach the roof and he could apply the formula then."

She stopped and thought for a moment. "There is one other thing. Hauntress was starting to assume Det. Broyko's form when we stopped her. I worry she may try to infiltrate the police or other organizations again. From what I've read of her file, there's a chance that she may not give off body heat to match a normal person's signature. Might I suggest, covertly of course, that you entrust a few members of Det. Broyko's staff with IR goggles to occasionally check up on each other during the assault to minimize the likelihood of such a thing occurring in all the confusion."

Dr. Morrow agreed and made a note to tell Det. Broyko.

Officer Perkins had returned from his medical checkup. Fortunately he had survived the ambush with only a few scratches and bruises. He picked up his ‘Top Cop’ coffee cup his son had given him for his birthday and strolled into the main conference room of the Task Force HQ. He noticed one of the heroes keeping to the shadows. From this direction, it almost made him invisible. Officer Perkins walked to the shadowy hero but stopped a few feet from of him. “I want to thank you for helping us with the Crushers Crimewave. We wouldn’t have been able to protect Dr. Morrow without you.”

“I found out you weren’t at Manning Enterprises break in. I was wondering if you might have been one the ones who save me from the ‘Garbage Man’. That is what the press has dubbed him. They sure do come up with some corny names don’t they. Well anyway, if you were there then thanks. I meant what I said about not checking for Superheroes Licenses, you are a superhero in my book.  Situations like this have allowed Vigilantes to get their Superhero License and come in from out of the cold. You should consider that.”

The Wraith looked back at the officer, his expression unreadable under his mask.  "I will...think about it," he finally said, not impolitely but not particularly warmly, either.  David isn't sure he wants to give up his independence.

When Starbolt can speak with Black Orchid and the rest of the team he said," Guys, and Black Orchid, Detective Broyko has volunteered his men to knock on the front door while we try to sneak in from the roof. I would prefer that we enter an adjacent building, and exit from their roof so that we had a shorter flight and would use less time while invisible travelling. Manta-Lad can access the roof entrance, and we can start from the top, work our way down and try to take out as many villains as quietly as possible before things go loud.  "

The Black Orchid replied "I could sneak in with Det. Broyko’s men. I believe I can maintain my own invisibility a bit longer, and even without it I can be a bit on the sneaky side." She finished with a wry smile. "As to plans, I still think we need to hit the power of the Citadel to shut down its defense as much as possible. If Manta Lad can give a brief description of their power situation, with a few tools, I bet I could temporarily wreak holy havoc on their generator.

Manta Lad informed Black Orchid the main generator is in the basement which is one floor below the lobby. There is an emergency generator on the 27th floor, which is the lowest level of the 4 floors that the Crusaders occupy.

Wraith said "I'm willing to teleport Black Orchid--or anybody else---to the roof.  I can probably carry one or two other people at one time.  Also, I have some medical training.  If I can get into the infirmary I might be able to help revive The Crusaders more quickly.”

During the planning session, the teenage troublemaker fell quiet, only answering question that were directly to him. Invisibility, teleportation, he’d go along with whatever plan the grownups devised. If they wanted him to hack the electronic lock on the rooftop door, he’d do that too (with his Lightning Powers to control devices, he’d try to open the door without tripping the alarm).

As the adults talked amongst themselves, his mind drifted off to something Manta Man had once taught him. He remembered his mentor taking him through it like a school teacher.

“The Law of Superheroes.” Manta Man had said.

“First Law: The lives and safety of innocent bystanders, the defenseless and the helpless will always be protected.

“Second Law: The lives and safety of you, the superhero, and members of your team will be protected to the extent that it does not conflict with the First Law.

“Third Law: The lives and safety of all opponents will be protected to the extent that it does not conflict with the first two Laws.”
 
At the time, Manta Lad thought it was funny that “Capture supervillains” didn’t make the list. Now he understood.

If Wraith was serious about teleporting to the Infirmary, Manta Lad would privately ask him to take him along. Okay, 'ask' might not be the right word. Plead.”

“But we can’t tell Broyko,” he said.

Unfortunately The Wraith was willing but unable to help. He had never been inside the Citadel and to blind teleport into the location was too dangerous.

Since Wraith couldn’t teleport him into the infirmary then, during the raid on Crusaders Citadel, Manta Lad would go along with whatever the grownups wanted him to do.” 

“Until they got the roof door open.”
“Then, without a word, he’d hurl himself down the stairwell at full flight speed, overriding any security cameras he detected (with his Lightning Control device).”
“He’d go straight to the infirmary.”
“He would free the hostages… the Crusaders. Save them from further harm.”
“He would protect the defenseless and the helpless in need.”

“Cause that’s what Manta Man would do.”

A few minutes later Det Broyko called the heroes and the task force members into the main conference room. “Okay we have less than an hour until sunset. We need to decide on a plan, what the objective is, and who will be going in which ways. In short what is your plan of attack?”

Detective Broyko slowly chewed his gum as he looked from Starbolt to Black Orchid and back again as he waited for a response.

They explained their plan on taking out the generators and using the Stealth Chemical to enter from the roof top unseen.

“Det. Broyko how fast can you get me the certain tools and electronic gadgets I'll need, unless of course any of you don't think we should go this route?"

Det. Broyko agreed that Black Orchid could accompany his men as they storm the lobby. They will not attempt to climb the 27 floors to get to the Citadel but hopefully it will distract the Crushers from the heroes’ entrance. If Black Orchid wanted to sneak off to disable the main generator she could. Manta Man had run tests with the Megalopolis PD for such a villain type attack on the Citadel. It would take 30 seconds before the emergency generator kicks on.

He did express concern that Black Orchid disabling the main generator would weaken the team that went into the Citadel. If it was okay with the team he did have a licensed Super Hero that had contacted the Task Force to offer his help.  Shortly, Det. Broyko brought in and introduced Tomahawk to the team. Tomahawk expressed his appreciation in their allowing him to help.
The team made their final preparations before the time they set to meet outside the Citadel.

There was a storm brewing with a light rain around the Citadel. Black Orchid was with the SWAT team with Det. Broyko come running up to her. “We have a problem. The others are in the top floor office building waiting our signal but Emerald Dragon and Midnight Bug didn’t show. Join the team and I will take out the main generator.”

Black Orchid had the tools to the Task Force leader, quickly running off to join the other heroes.

They waited for the signal. When they heard the SWAT crash through the front lobby doors they quickly went to the roof. The Wraith teleported with Tomahawk, Starbolt carried Black Orchid as he and Manta Lad flew.

They landed next to the observatory and Manta Lad quickly went to work on opening the locked stairs. Within a second he had the lock open.

ZZABBBOOOOMMM!

A lightning bolt struck the lobby of Crusader Citadel. The lights went out in the Citadel. Black Orchid applied the Stealth Chemical to everyone. Manta Lad opened the door and then he was gone. He flew down the down the stairs even though they were in complete darkness!

The rest of the heroes walked into the stairway making their way down into the Citadel.

Manta Lad flew from memory down the stairs unfortunately he did not remember where the first landing was. He slammed into it hard but quickly was back up, flying down the stairway once again.

{GM Note: Used Darkness Rules which required an Agility Save for each level that Manta Lad traveled. Manta Lad failed the roll on first level so he incurred 3 points of damage (1d6) and couldn’t roll with it}.

He continued on until he reached the level he knew the infirmary was on. He opened the stairway door and ran toward the Infirmary. As he placed his hand on the Infirmary door heard voices from the computer room.

“We’re under attack! Someone has reached us I can smell him.”

“Don’t just don’t stand there! Go beat him senseless, while I start the emergency generator!”

It was Mace and Mocker.

{GM Note: No map provided because of the complete darkness. The main generator was disabled at the end of the turn so there will be two more turns before the emergency generator comes on. Tomahawk is a NPC, not the PC of a new player. Instead of having one of the Crusaders escape as the module suggested, I decided to use him.}

<Due Date: February 18th, Actions? Replies?>

Current Conditions:
Black Orchid                 Hit Points: 30    Power Points: 86           Willpower Defense active
Manta Lad                     Hit Points: 10    Power Points: 68           Luck Points Pool: 3       Lightning Defense inactive
Starbolt                                    Hit Points: 34    Power Points: 75            
The Wraith                     Hit Points: 10    Power Points: 53
Tomahawk                    Hit Points: 69    Power Points: 84

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Orchid

Oops, I knew I was forgetting something while I was out of town!

Sorry about that.

[If Starbolt talks to the Black Orchid about leadership]
The Black Orchid chooses her words carefully. "I believe we all have certain strengths that suggest different leaders for different situations. Manta Lad knows the Citadel so we should trust his judgment in understanding the tactical options of the building. I would only suggest that his youthful exuberance be tempered by those with more experience or at least more wisdom. In that capacity, Starbolt, you are the logical choice, and it seems already that you two have a good working relationship for leading the team. I feel I'm still too new at this to really be successful yet, but once I learn to map my knowledge of various military tactics to superhero fighting, I'll be able to contribute more at the team level. Once we get in the thick of things, I also believe that the Emerald Dragon has some untapped potential as well, since he has had direct experience with the criminal element in his previous profession."

[Replying to Dr. Morrow]
"True, I did not have time to stabilize it further. I believe I may be able to make it last quite a while on myself, as I can exert exquisite control over my body if need be. [OOC: can I actively use Willpower at the rate of 1 PR a round to suppress the physical effects of exertion?] I do believe that the Emerald Dragon could take me to the roof, and especially if we are doing this attack at night, I could envelope us in darkness until we reach the roof and he could apply the formula then."

She stops and thinks for a moment. "There is one other thing. Hauntress was starting to assume Det. Broyko's form when we stopped her. I worry she may try to infiltrate the police or other organizations again. From what I've read of her file, there's a chance that she may not give off body heat to match a normal person's signature. Might I suggest, covertly of course, that you entrust a few members of Det. Broyko's staff with IR goggles to occasionally check up on each other during the assault to minimize the likelihood of such a thing occurring in all the confusion."

[When discussing plans with Det. Broyko]
The Black Orchid does not know this yet, but if Det. Broyko is planning a front door assault, The Black Orchid will reply "If you still don't think it's a good idea for me to go in on the roof, maybe I could sneak in with your men, Det. Broyko. I believe I can maintain my own invisibility a bit longer, and even without it I can be a bit on the sneaky side." She finishes with a wry smile. "As to plans, I still think we need to hit the power of the Citadel to shut down its defense as much as possible. If Manta Lad can give a brief description of their power situation, with a few tools, I bet I could temporarily wreak holy havoc on their generator. Det. Broyko, depending on what Mata Lad tells me, how fast can you get me the certain tools and electronic gadgets I'll need, unless of course any of you don't think we should go this route?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starbolt

The Detective’s comments caused Starbolt to pause for a second as if considering his words carefully. "Detective, I don't consider myself expendable, but I don't want the team to think that I would ask them to do more than I would ask of myself. I will discuss the situation with the team. Sending your team to the front door to get their attention would be greatly appreciated." When he can speak with  Black Orchid and the rest of the team Starbolt will say " Guys, and Black Orchid, Detective Broyko has volunteered his men to knock on the front door while we try to sneak in from the roof. I would prefer that we enter an adjacent building, and exit from their roof so that we had a shorter flight and would use less time while invisible travelling. Manta-Lad can access the roof entrance, and we can start from the top, work our way down and try to take out as many villains as quietly as possible before things go loud.  "

Starbolt waits for anyone else’s input.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Orchid

Any comment on The Black Orchid's plan of going in with Det. Broyko's men and shutting down the power (I'm actually seeing if my message even went out, since it got put in my sent folder, but there was an error when it went out.)

- Marc
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starbolt

Yes it went out, or at least I received it. I didn't have a problem with it, but since our new member can teleport, you may want to travel with him. However you want to do it is cool with me.

-Jamey(Starbolt?Hawk)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Orchid

I forgot about the teleporter, What The Black Orchid does then depends on the info I get from Manta Lad about the power plant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GM

IC: for PC and NPCs:

Manta Lad informed Black Orchid the main generator is in the basement which is one floor below the lobby. There is an emergency generator on the 27th floor, which is the lowest level of the 4 floors that the Crusaders occupy.

Det. Broyko agreed that Black Orchid could accompany his men as they storm the lobby. They will not attempt to climb the 27 floors to get to the Citadel but hopefully it will distract the Crushers from the heroes’ entrance. If Black Orchid wanted to sneak off to disable the main generator she could. Manta Man had run tests with the Megalopolis PD for such a villain type attack on the Citadel. It would take 30 seconds {2 turns} before the emergency generator kicks on.

Best

Tom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emerald Dragon

Regretfully and in the interest of not holding the others up I do feel I should step out of the game. It isn't that the game isn't interesting or even a time issue. I think what makes it difficult is the continuity and flow of conversation. Having to check different emails for the actions of others then trying to link them all together to form a coherent and useful response I find fairly awkward. It is not the game, you do a great job of being very detailed and setting things up......it is the pacing of PBEM and how the back and forth works. I play several PbP games on RPOL.net and I find it is more fluid for me, even in games where the posting is slow because I can easily look through everyone's responses and throw my own in. My apologies if you feel I have wasted your time, I just think PBEM is just too slow for my taste. The way you all play works for you so my thoughts that moving the game to RPOL.net really only serves my interest. Thanks for putting up with me and I hope you all continue to have a great time with the game.

Jan/Emerald Dragon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wraith

Officer Perkins said:  "I meant what I said about not checking for Superheroes Licenses, you are a superhero in my book. Situations like this have allowed Vigilantes to get their Superhero License and come in from out of the cold. You should consider that."

The Wraith looks back at the officer, his expression unreadable under his mask.  "I will...think about it," he finally says, not impolitely but not particularly warmly, either.  David isn't sure he wants to give up his independence.

When the plan for invading the Citadel is discussed, Wraith says "I'm willing to teleport Black Orchid--or anybody else---to the roof.  I can probably carry one or two other people at one time.  Also, I have some medical training.  If I can get into the infirmary I might be able to help revive The Crusaders more quickly."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manta Lad

OOC: take care, Jan. It was fun playing with you.
IC:
Detective Broyko looked up at Manta Lad. “I understand your desire to save Manta Man and the rest of the Crusaders. I know they are important to you but would Manta Man want you to put rescuing him above capturing the Crushers? In this situation what would Manta Man do?

Please think about it and send Starbolt in here please”.


Manta Lad felt like he was eight years old again. He left the office without a word.
“Starbolt. Broyko, like, wants to talk at you next...” he mumbled sullenly.

During the planning session, the teenage troublemaker fell quiet. Invisibility, teleportation, he’d go along with whatever plan the grownups devised. If they wanted him to hack the electronic lock on the rooftop door, he’d do that too (with his Lightning Powers to control devices, he’d try to open the door without tripping the alarm).

As the adults talked amongst themselves, his mind drifted off to something Manta Man had once taught him. He remembered his mentor taking him through it like a school teacher.


“The Law of Superheroes.” Manta Man had said.  (OOC: with apologies to Asimov and Willingham)

“First Law: The lives and safety of innocent bystanders, the defenseless and the helpless will always be protected.

“Second Law: The lives and safety of you, the superhero, and members of your team will be protected to the extent that it does not conflict with the First Law.

“Third Law: The lives and safety of all opponents will be protected to the extent that it does not conflict with the first two Laws.”


At the time, Manta Lad thought it was funny that “Capture supervillains” didn’t make the list. Now he understood.

If Wraith was serious about teleporting to the Infirmary, Manta Lad would privately ask him to take him along. Okay, 'ask' might not be the right word. Plead.
“But we can’t tell Broyko,” he said.
If Wraith agreed, he try to use his technical skills to assist in handling security devices and freeing Manta Man and the Crusaders.

If Wraith wouldn’t teleport him into the infirmary then, during the raid on Crusaders Citadel, Manta Lad would go along with whatever the grownups wanted him to do. 

Until they got the roof door open.
Then, without a word, he’d hurl himself down the stairwell at full flight speed, overriding any security cameras he detected (with his Lightning Control device).
He’d go straight to the infirmary.
He would free the hostages… the Crusaders. Save them from further harm.
He would protect the defenseless and the helpless in need.

Cause that’s what Manta Man would do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM

Wonderful.

The "Rules of Superheroes" are also the DSA License Superhero Rules of Conduct.

http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/p/dsa-licensed-superhero-conduct-rules.html


Fun stuff.

Thanks
Tom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manta Lad

Cool. I love those.

Thanks,
Jeff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------