Monday, March 26, 2012

Codename Red Hawk: What's in a Name? - Issue 3

Location: Department of Superpower Affairs – Megalopolis Offices

Sitting in a corner of the Department of Superhuman Affairs cafeteria Brian sat across from the strangest legacy he had ever seen or heard of. To everyone else in the room “He” looked like a normal human being. Drinking a cold coke and cheeseburger, “He” sat and listened intently to ever word Brian uttered as if they were from God himself. Frankly it was a bit uncomfortable, but as Dennis pointed out, between his collegiate study of the Freedom Eagle and his career as a computer programmer, there probably weren’t three other people in the world better suited to help the android in his amnesiac state.

“I’m glad to see you want to follow in the Freedom Eagle’s footsteps and double so you picked up on the potential problems of continuing to pose as him. I knew years ago that I couldn’t wear that uniform. It was his and I had no right to it. I had to forge my own identity as a hero, and now so do you. Red Hawk’s a fine name but we’ll have to get the uniform properly altered to suit the persona you’re wanting to project. I’m curious why Red Hawk.?”

For a while, the tall almost Mediterranean looking “man” across from the table doesn’t speak. His long black hair and strong bronze features look chillingly the same as the day he and Dennis had followed that strange light down the alley to the Peratonian. They watched as “America’s Greatest Hero” died after passing his powers to Dennis and bequeathing his flight suit to Brian. Finally with a smile “He” spoke. “I like the color red . . . and . . . well, anything with the name eagle in it seemed like I was trying to hold onto whatever it was I was before I met you and Dennis . . . that faux Eagle character.”

“I don’t want to have anything to do with him. At least not until I find out all the facts about what happened that day and why.” After taking a drink from his coke, savoring the sweet syrupy flavor “He” continues. “And I saw on the TV that the hawk is a predator. If I’m going to find out who created me I need to become a hunter. So I chose Red Hawk when Dennis asked me what my name was going to be. Does that make sense?” His eyes light up waiting for approval from Brian, and once again Brian gets that uncomfortable feeling. Merely smiling and nodding his head.

“Uhm Brian . . . why do some people have two names and some don’t? I noticed watching Capes TV network that almost all the heroes and villains have two names. When Dennis asked my name was I supposed to have two of them?”

“Names are identifiers as you know; there are more possibilities with two names than with one.  When someone is extremely famous the fans will shorten to one name because that is the only person they think of when they say the name. It is speed over clarity.”

“Oh … I see I think.” His heightened senses allow him to smell and hear Dennis Machek as he enters the busy cafeteria “He” looks up expectantly. It’s through Brian that “He” had started to learn about who “He” might be and how “He” might fit in the world. It’s Dennis “He” senses who will teach him how to utilize his abilities. He and Brian both smile as Dennis energetically makes his way through the tables and chairs of the cafeteria. Dennis’s own smile lighting up the room as he waves a card in the air as he approaches. Looking across the table “He” asked the question. “So where can we go to get the suit altered?”

“Well StarCorp has offered to pay Ms. Stitch to alter your costume. They are making it a part of your compensation while you will be working for them in some kind of capacity.”

"He" looked excitedly at his two mentors to be. "I'm anxious to start working with their scientist. The Project Director told me that I would be the only person involved in every phase of analyzing the systems and materials that were used in my creation. Something about security measures and protecting my property rights, if I work at it, he said I could become a leading research assistant in nano-engineering."

“Lab Rat”

“Now Dennis we don’t know that for sure. I am sure StarCorp will use him instead of just making him a study subject. Besides I am made sure they signed a Non Disclosure Statement which will make sure they can’t use anything they learn without Red Hawk’s permission. All patients will be in Red Hawk’s name, not StarCorp’s, and he will get royalties from every sale or internal use they find from studying him.”

Giving Dennis a quizzical look "He" searched the phrase 'lab rat' on the table's holo-pad. The results light up on the viewer as Brian explained the terms of the contract he had negotiated for Red Hawk, "He" looked up at his two mentors with a stone faced expression. "I may have been created in a lab, and I may enter into a mutually beneficial agreement with StarCorp, but I will never be anyone's 'lab rat'.

Dennis laughed, “I bet Joshua will turn red when he learns about what he signed. Something he won’t be able to turn a quick buck from. Come Red Hawk lets go get your costume altered before the StarCorp attorney’s figure out what Joshua did.”

“He" felt a sense of pride as Dennis called him by the Codename: Red Hawk. Smiling "He" picked up the over-sized gym bag with the faux Freedom Eagle costume. The trio, linked by a legacy so strange Hollywood wouldn't think to write it, made their way to Brian's jeep in the DSA parking lot. Climbing into the back seat "He" didn't know where he was from or who had created him. "He" wasn't sure where he was going or how he was going to get there, but "He" knew one thing. Where ever "He" was from, where ever "He" was going, "He" would try and do it as a Hero.

Leaning up into the front seat "He" asked Brian if he could borrow his holo-pad. "He" wasn't sure what he was looking for. This wasn't like a codename. This would be a name people would know him by when he wasn't being Red Hawk. Searching the internet "He" started learning how names were given at a human child's birth. "I don't have parents, and I may never know who my creator was. I certainly wouldn't ask Brian and Dennis. They've done so much for me already. No, I need to start creating my own identity, outside of the hero Red Hawk."

"I chose Red Hawk to represent an image. An image designed to follow in the footsteps of Condor and Freedom Eagle. I want my personal name to be something that makes people comfortable. Something with a sound lets people relax when they hear it." Looking through a list of baby names "He" goes through the Brian and the B's then Dennis and the D's. "Hmm … something in the C's . . .” Finally "He" leans forward between the two friendly bantering of the two brothers in arms. Clearing his throat and smiling warmly "He" looks at both mentors.

"Please … call me Chris."

<Due Date: March 17th, Actions? Replies?>

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Tom

OOC: Well here we go

<Red Hawk IC: actions and responses>

"Well StarCorp has offered to pay Ms. Stitch to alter your costume. They are making it a part of your compensation while you will be working for them in some kind of capacity."

"He" looks excitedly at his two mentors to be. "I'm anxious to start working with their scientist. The Project Director told me that I would be the only person involved in every phase of analyzing the systems and materials that were used in my creation. Something about security measures and protecting my property rights. If I work at it, he said I could become a leading research assistant in nano-engineering."

"Lab Rat"

"Now Dennis we don‟t know that for sure. I am sure StarCorp will use him instead of just making him a study subject. Besides I am made sure they signed a Non Disclosure Statement which will make sure they can‟t use anything they learn
without Red Hawk‟s permission. All patients will be in Red Hawk‟s name, not StarCorp‟s, and he will get royalties from every sale or internal use they find from studying him."

Giving Dennis a quizzical look "He" searches the phrase 'lab rat' on the table's holo-pad. The results light up on the viewer as Brian explains the terms of the contract he had negotiated for Red Hawk, "He" looks up at his two mentors with a stone faced expression. "I may have been created in a lab, and I may enter into a mutually beneficial agreement with StarCorp, but I will never be anyone's 'lab rat'.

Dennis laughs, "I bet Joshua will turn red when he learns about what he signed. Something he won‟t be able to turn a quick buck from. Come Red Hawk lets go get your costume altered before the StarCorp attorney‟s figure out what Joshua did."

He" feels a sense of pride as Dennis calls him by the Codename: Red Hawk. Smiling "He" picks up the over-sized gym bag with the faux Freedom Eagle costume. The trio, linked by a legacy so strange Hollywood wouldn't think to write it, make their way to Brian's jeep in the DSA parking lot. Climbing into the back seat "He" didn't know where he was from or who had created him. "He" wasn't sure where he was going or how he was going to get there, but "He" did know one thing. Where ever "He" was from, where ever "He" was going, "He" would try and do it as a Hero.

OOC: lol no love for Rose from Dennis huh?

Regards
John
-------------------------------------------------------
Red Hawk: Side Shot # 2.1
As Brian's jeep wound its way through the busy streets of Central City, "He" absently listened to his two mentors argue about the pros and cons of his working with StarCorp. "He" didn't mind. It gave him time to look on with wonder at a world he was just beginning to understand. "Names are identifiers as you know; there are more possibilities with two names than with one" "I feel like Brian was telling me something . . . " The sound of jet engines roar overhead, "He" looks up seeing  two CHESS sky-cycles zip through the city's skyline.
Looking back down at the over-sized gym back holding the faux Freedom Eagle uniform, "He" feels a longing to be up there with the CHESS Knights. Soaring through the sky every day hunting those who would prey on the innocent, the weak. " . . . but then what?" Smiling at the playful banter between Brian and Dennis "Brian, you need to get out of that classroom more …" "He" thought about that. Brian taught, Dennis had his music, even the CHESS Knights probably had a life outside of serving the public. " . . . and they all have separate identities."

"He" sits there the wind in his face as they cross the bridge leading from Central City into Soiree Heights. Central City was financially rich. Soiree Heights was a city of opulence. They even had the ability to pay heroes to protect them. "… freaking mercenaries … "He" has more … " came Dennis's voice from the front seat. Something in Dennis's tone of voice struck him as being wrong. Brian and Dennis both seemed uneasy when referring to him as "He". "Hmm … "He" … I guess it sound a lot like "It". Maybe if I had a real name it would help?"

Leaning up into the front seat "He" asked Brian if he could borrow his holo-pad. "He" wasn't sure what he was looking for. This wasn't like a codename. This would be a name people would know him by when he wasn't being Red Hawk. Searching the internet "He" started learning how names were given at a human child's birth. "I don't have parents, and I may never know who my creator was. I certainly wouldn't ask Brian and Dennis. They've done so much for me already. No, I need to start creating my own identity, outside of the hero Red Hawk."

"I chose Red Hawk to represent an image. An image designed to follow in the footsteps of Condor and Freedom Eagle. I want my personal name to be something that makes people comfortable. Something with a sound lets people relax when they hear it." Looking through a list of baby names "He" goes through the Brian and the B's then Dennis and the D's. "Hmm … something in the C's . . . " Finally "He" leans forward between the two friendly bantering of the two brother in arms. Clearing his throat and smiling warmly "He" looks at both mentors.

"Please … call me Chris."
-------------------------------------------------------------