Sunday, May 27, 2012

Codename: Red Hawk: Styling - Issue 4

Location: Department of Superpower Affairs – Megalopolis Offices

The sound of jet engines roar overhead, “Chris” looks up and saw two CHESS sky-cycles zip through the city’s skyline.

Looking back down at the over-sized gym back holding the faux Freedom Eagle uniform, Chris felt a longing to be up there with the CHESS Knights. They soared through the sky every day hunting those who would prey on the innocent, the weak . . . but then what? Smiling at the playful banter between Brian and Dennis “Brian, you need to get out of that classroom more …” Chris thought about that. Brian taught, Dennis had his music, even the CHESS Knights in the sky probably had a life outside of serving the public. I have so much to learn. Not just at StarCorp. Not even just about myself. I have a whole world to learn about. I guess using my abilities to protect innocent people from villains like the Crushers can’t be a bad way to start.

Chris sat in the back of the jeep, the wind in his face as they cross the bridge leading from Central City into Soiree Heights. Central City was financially rich. Soiree Heights was a city of opulence. They even had the ability to pay heroes to protect them. “… freaking mercenaries … Chris has more … “ came Dennis’s voice from the front seat. Chris thought about Dennis’s tone of voice. Being three days old he wasn’t sure, but he suspected neither Dennis nor Brian were comfortable with him yet. I can’t blame them really. I show up claiming to be one of this world’s most beloved superheroes … returned from the grave, the same hero who passed his powers and legacy on to them. I would think they’d want to destroy me, not offer to mentor me.

Chris saw their destination just ahead and was surprised as Brian drove past the elegant store front with the marquee sign marked Stitches. Puzzled he turned back around, but before Chris could ask Dennis was twisting backwards to tell him, “We can’t just go through the front door can we? It would give away the secret identity of any of us she does special commissions for. You have to have an appointment and special password for the entrance in the parking garage. I hear she only takes one special appointment on any given day as a security measure . . . We can’t all be like the mighty Joshua Rose and just pop in anywhere anytime we want.” Chris wasn’t sure, but he thought Dennis might not like his future employer very much.

The jeep pulled up to the gate to the private parking garage. Brian leaned over and punched in the password they had given him at StarCorp for Red Hawk. Supposedly it alerted Ms. Stitch that her appointment had arrived and would be entering through the special entrance in just a few minutes. The three men piled out of the old jeep and walked across the cool concrete. Chris’s tech-heightened senses detected the numerous electronic security devices installed throughout the garage as Dennis pushed the button to open the elevator doors. He chuckled softly. “Why am I not surprised Dennis liked pushing buttons?” Both Dennis and Brian look back astonished at Chris’s laughter. At the same time both ask “What’s so funny?”

Startled by his own ability to find humor in something so small, Chris smiled sheepishly, “Just excited I guess.”

The waiting room was beautiful.

Assistants came in quietly and efficiently. They took the old costume and Chris’s measures without word or attempt at conversation.  After they left the room, Ms Stitch walked in.

“Welcome to my place. Dennis and Brian it is great to have you back again.  It is a pleasure to meet you Chris …? ”

“Eagle”

Brian and Dennis replied in unison. They quickly glanced at each other and nodded a knowing smile.

“Ah, yes, it is a pleasure to meet you Chris Eagle. Come let me show you my creations.”

Five hours later they settled on the new Red Hawk costume.

Both Brian and Dennis were pleased with Chris’s selection. Brain said, “Now let’s go see how she handles.  The perfect place is Memorial Park in Our Fair City.”

They quickly paid their respects and bill, courtesy of StarCorp, and left the premises.  In less than an hour they were all at the park and in their respective costumes as Shatterman, Condor, and Red Hawk.

They enjoyed flying in the park with Condor spotted something with was out of place. Shatterman and Red Hawk followed him. It was a new statue or was it?

As they neared they could hear the person on the bicycle next to statue.

“Yes, Hello! This is Office Nick Deans – I’m at the park”. Office Deans let go of his bicycle as he examined the bomb sitting before him. “We have a situation here at the park – in the Statuary. Someone has planted a bomb.” He wiped the sweat off his brow. His partner, Charlie Barrett, started moving bystanders away. “NO! I have not touched anything yet,” continued Dean. “The timer’s on ten minutes… there’s no way the bomb squad can make it here by then. Call the Masks! Call the Masks!” Officer Barrett moved people toward the gate, but try as he might, it would not open.

<Due Date: April 14th, Actions? Replies?>

------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hawk

I thought we might share something of where we each thought this was going. I wasn't sure what you were expecting from me as far as input. With Street Patrol you had already done quite a bit of prep work. I really was trying to create something of that power level with the pistol wielding "angel" and kid speedster but was kept missing the mark I guess. Red Hawk (to me) seems at least Crusader maybe even Quest. On par with Cure and maybe even Magnus. That is a pretty cool couple of characters.

Back on topic. I assume your having to do more fly by seat of your pants for Red. Is there anything expectations of me I can improve upon? I'm reluctant to write anything for the two Icons. Like Doc, Bird, and Donnah. I feel those are your characters and always feel it best to get approval permission to put words actions to those characters.

Just spit balling during lunch
John
------------------------------------------------------------------
GM

I see this as Solo Play at the Crusader level. On Condor and Shatterman, I don’t feel strong ownership of them. If you want to play them like you have been playing Trish and Professor I am cool with it. I have been playing them to enrich your gaming experience. I will take as much ownership of them as you want me to.



On the expectations I am not really putting a lot on it. This is your open sandbox to have as much fun as you want. I will follow your lead on what kind of adventures he has. I will limit how much larger impact to Megalopolis he has. He won’t be world building like DarkStar has.



Where the closest Marvel equivalent to DarkStar is Iron Man or Mr. Fantastic for Red Hawk it is going to be Spider-man or Captain America.

Best
Tom
------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hawk

Hey T-man

Not in any particular order - For me I'd prefer not play with Shatterman and Condor too much really. Small things like the car ride is one thing but how they mentor him and stuff I'm not comfortable with that. It's why I asked for your input for Doc and Nigel at the card game. I'd rather not even have the temptation to "world build". That is not what Red Hawk is suppose to be about.

I do thing in his process of learning to be Chris (still needs a last name) and Red Hawk it would be fun - hopefully for both of us - to explore areas on the Megalopolis Universe that Quest, Crusade, and Street Patrol aren't designed for. Things like Freedom Eagle's lair, bringing the Spyder to justice if he hasn't been apprehended, interaction with the Super Society. I know you don't have heroes that work specifically for CHESS but maybe Red Hawk can work close with MPD or something?

Just some random thoughts going on there.

btw: I kind of like the Spider-Man comparison. Spidey' cool and all but never was a big fan of Peter Parker for some reason. Which is funny considering my psych-driven playing style. Double the irony with the fact I'm really itching to take Red out for a spin and see how he performs in a combat. Me jonesing for a combat scene - I think something just got a little chilly  (lol)

Later Tom - Thanks for Red Hawk I think he's going to be a blast
John
------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hawk

Hey Tom

OOC: I took some of what you didn't use last time and reworked it. I went with the direction you set of taking the Freedom Eagle uniform to Ms. Stitch for "alterations".  I tried to imagine some of the precautions she might have to take as a meta-designer. If it doesn't work for you just adjust as needed. For fun I slipped you a couple of Downloads concerning Ms. Stitch's. May or may not work for you.

<Red Hawk IC: actions and responses>

The sound of jet engines roar overhead, “Chris” looks up and sees two CHESS sky-cycles zip through the city’s skyline.

Looking back down at the over-sized gym back holding the faux Freedom Eagle uniform, “Chris” feels a longing to be up there with the CHESS Knights. They soar through the sky every day hunting those who would prey on the innocent, the weak . . . but then what? Smiling at the playful banter between Brian and Dennis “Brian, you need to get out of that classroom more …” “Chris” thought about that. Brian taught, Dennis had his music, even the CHESS Knights in the sky probably had a life outside of serving the public. I have so much to learn. Not just at StarCorp. Not even just about myself. I have a whole world to learn about. I guess using my abilities to protect innocent people from villains like the Crushers can’t be a bad way to start.

“Chris” sits in the back of the jeep, the wind in his face as they cross the bridge leading from Central City into Soiree Heights. Central City was financially rich. Soiree Heights was a city of opulence. They even had the ability to pay heroes to protect them. “… freaking mercenaries … Chris has more … “ came Dennis’s voice from the front seat. “Chris” thought about Dennis’s tone of voice. Being three days old he wasn’t sure, but he suspected neither Dennis or Brian were comfortable with him yet. I can’t blame them really. I show up claiming to be one of this world’s most beloved superheroes … returned from the grave, the same hero who passed his powers and legacy on to them. I would think they’d want to destroy me, not offer to mentor me.

“Chris” sees their destination just ahead and is surprised as Brian drives past the elegant store front with the marquee sign marked Stitches. Puzzled he turns back around, but before “Chris” can ask Dennis is twisting backwards to tell him, “We can’t just go through the front door can we? It would give away the secret identity of any of us she does special commissions for. You have to have an appointment and special password for the entrance in the parking garage. I hear she only takes one special appointment on any given day as a security measure . . . We can’t all be like the mighty Joshua Rose and just pop in anywhere anytime we want.” “Chris” wasn’t sure, but he thought Dennis might not like his future employer very much.

The jeep pulled up to the gate to the private parking garage. Brian leaned over and punched in the password they had given him at StarCorp for Red Hawk. Supposedly it alerted Ms. Stitch that her appointment had arrived and would be entering through the special entrance in just a few minutes. The three men piled out of the old jeep and walked across the cool concrete. “Chris’s” tech-heightened senses detected the numerous electronic security devices installed throughout the garage as Dennis pushed the button to open the elevator doors. He chuckles softly. Why am I not surprised Dennis likes pushing buttons? Both Dennis and Brian look back astonished at “Chris” laughter. At the same time both ask “What’s so funny?”

Startled by his own ability to find humor in something so small, “Chris” smiles sheepishly, “Just excited I guess.”


OOC: Definitely a different style of RP so far

Thanks
John
------------------------------------------------------------------