Saturday, January 22, 2011

Phantom: House Call – Issue 2

Phantom decides to head down to the saloon and try to wipe out the Sons of James before they can actually become established within the Foundry. Deciding that an evening assault might be to his advantage, he checks his equipment, readying his weapons, straps on his body armor and heads out into the night. As he exits his secret hideout the illumination from a nearby streetlight washes over his heavily equipped frame, and says in a low, throaty tone," . . . time to take out the trash."

Arriving at the Saloon, he has a grim smile on his face. It is just as he had hoped.  The Sons of James gang has not yet turned the house into a fortress.  The neighborhood is older, depressed, economically struggling kind that allows these places to flourish. “The neighbors see nothing and hear nothing but pray that they are here tomorrow”.

Circling the house for a proper recon, he realized that he really doesn’t need to find a special way in.  Their business is strong tonight and the gang member manning the front door doesn’t expect more people.  He is standing in a relaxed position.

He is focused more on listening to what is happening in the house than watching what is happening outside the house.

On the second floor every room has a light on and the shadows on the shades indicate that all the ladies are entertaining.  From counting the movement of the shadows each lady has a single customer and one person is standing by the main door.  Nine people in total are on the second floor.

On the first floor there is one gangster in the kitchen; two other gangsters are walking around.  There are four card games going on.  At each table it appears a gangster is dealing and the rest appear to be customers.

The Phantom makes his move on the outside guard …


<Actions, Goal, Reply?>




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issues 2 of Street Patrol


IC RESPONSE:

Phantom is going to head down to the saloon and try to wipe out the Sons of James before they can actually become established within the Foundry. Deciding that an evening assault might be to his advantage, he checks his equipment, readying his weapons, straps on his body armor and heads out into the night. As he exits his secret hideout the illumination from a nearby streetlight washes over his heavily equipped frame, and says in a low, throaty tone," . . . time to take out the trash."

GOAL:

Phantom is going to take out the Sons of James for good!

OOC RESPONSE:

What kind of intel does Phantom have on the Sons of James 'club house'? Is it in a seedy part of town, industrial park, heavily / lightly populated low income neighborhood, side street or main road, etc. ? Do they post guards around the perimeter ( like most of these places do )? Dogs? Look outs positioned on the street corners ( like most of these places do )? Possible number of hostiles vs. possible number of non-combatants? Are they well equipped and supplied? Any external or internal fortifications? etc., etc., etc . . .

Naturally he check the place out once he gets there, buts its always good to have a heads up on stuff before you get there.

As for Character Skills - before I start deciding on which ones I like for Phantom - how many skill slots did Presence cost me? I'm assuming '2', but I figured I would ask instead of just making blind assumptions ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how all of our first missions unfold for all of us - I have a gut feeling that this is going to be a very dark and quite possibly a bloody campaign. I can't wait! =D


Talk to you all soon,

-Kev

GM Reply
As for Character Skills - before I start deciding on which ones I like for Phantom - how many skill slots did Presence cost me? I'm assuming '2', but I figured I would ask instead of just making blind assumptions ;)

Nothing, everyone gets the first slot of Presence for free.  It is basically how well you can intimidate a low level thug and how easy a big bad baddy would affect you.  The second level you get free because of Vigilante of weakness, you are really scary.

I will have to take the weekend to work up the details for the Son of James location.  I haven't made it yet.

Regards
Tom



GM Reply
This is not the Son of James safe house.  This is a two story house which they have converted to a Saloon and Brothel.

The only conversion for security is a Steel Front door and storm windows (increases Glass Str Rating by 1.5).

On the first floor is the bar and tables to play Texas Hold 'em and Poker.

The second floor is where Calamity Jess, Yellow Rose, Belle the Star and Annie Pokley entertain.

There are 3 to 5 Son of James on site during the weekends. 6 to 8 bar drinkers and card players. 6 to 10 entertaining upstairs.

It is in a residential area of the seeding rundown part of Winthrope Station.  Surrounding are small 3 room houses.  The two story house is on a double lot on the corner of the street.  The backyard has a 8 foot wooden fence around it.

Regards
Tom

Reply
OOC

Cool - that helps a lot - thanks Tom. I've been around a ton of these types of places in RL. Assuming they don't have any crazy surprises laying around ( ie. Superpowered types, .50 machine guns, etc. . . ), this should go 'by the numbers' pretty smoothly. Just curious - do you have any experience with places like this, Tom? I ask because it might make my response a little easier to write out if you do - if not, no worries - I'll just go into more detail with my responses.

Most places like this have a pretty standard set up:

- One or two guards out front.

- A lookout at each end of the block.

- Chain and padlock around the backdoor attached to the door frame.

- Usually a pitbull, possibly with its vocal cords removed.

- Neighbors are scared out of their minds of these guys, but won't lift a finger to help them if they get raided ( in fact - they might help from behind the scenes ).

- Bars on the first floor windows.

- Illegal electric and gas connects ( services are tied in 'flat' to the street ).

- long corridor coming off the front door entrance that acts as a 'choke point'.

- Etc., etc., etc. . . .


Again - thanks again for the info - it really helps a bunch.


Talk to you all soon,

-Kev

GM Reply

No, I don't have any experience at all in this type of place.  When I was in high school I had one friend tell me that when he drove up to my house.  He could hear the theme to "Leave it to Beaver" in the driveway.  This was in 1982.  I have pretty much lived the rest of my life that way.

So everything I gave you was made up from watching NCIS, CSI, Law & Order, and History Channel's Real Crime shows - So while I am happy to left you draw from person experience but fill me in on what you know.

I ask because it might make my response a little easier to write out if you do - if not, no worries - I'll just go into more detail with my responses. The best bet is to think "Tom doesn't know this" and go from there.

Happy Hunting
Tom