Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Quest: Reinforcements! - Issue 34



Location: Dr. Avery’s Mansion


After the new recruits and the existing members of the Guardian had a chance for small talk, the host of the event seemed to just appear in the center of the room.  Instinctively, CX activated his defenses and took a defensive posture.  Seeing that the sudden appearance was none other than their host, he powered down and resumed a more casual posture.

"Good evening.  Dr. Arcane, I presume?"

As Red Hawk was about to introduce himself to the Centurion when he detected a 'ripple' in the air and the image of Dr. Arcane appeared in the library. Red Hawk just as suddenly sensed the golden adventurer's armor powering up and was about to react when just as suddenly it powered down and the man resumed a more casual posture. Leaning in Chris whispered "Can't blame you there. Could use a bit more warning myself next time”.

“Yeah, a little warning would go a long way." CX whispered

“Welcome all.  Thank you for answering my invitation.  I have need of adventurers to help save our world.  Artifacts of great strength were being sought out by villains.”  With a wave of his hand, images appear around him and start orbiting.  Looking at them it is easy to identify what they are by shape but not their significance.  There are 6 objects: 5 scrolls, 1 scythe, 1 gemstone, 1 Orb, 1 statue of a serpent or dragon, and a Cloak.

“The Guardians have retrieved all of them but one. I would retrieve it myself but my power is waning and I must conserve it.  Where in the past I would travel with you, alas I cannot but I will guide you.  Here take these”

“I have already given one to each of the Guardians. These are for you.”

Suddenly appearing before each of you was an amulet on a chain and it was floating. “Put it on.  The amulet and chain are enchanted.  It will stay with you and no one can take it from you unless you will it.  It will disappear from sight if you desire.  It will provide you access past the wards and protections on the house.  I and the Guardians will be able to speak with you whenever needed.”

Taking the proffered amulet from Dr. Arcane, Chris slipped the amulet around his head. He was sure he did not understand how it's magic was suppose to function, but then he had so much to learn about the world being ignorant of one more field of study was hardly a surprise. Focusing on memories of Black Orchid becoming invisible at the Tower, he focused on the amulet and ... it disappeared, “Fascinating.”

CX thought to himself as the amulets are distributed.  "Magic amulet?  It’s uncomfortable to just accept it, but, my own suit operates off Aetheric principles that most modern scientists call bunk.  If there exists an extra dimensional energy that interacts with our own reality but is nearly undetectable by normal means, then there can certainly be manipulation of other unseen forces yet to be discovered or explained by science.  I suppose that many scientists would call my Aetheric Generator a magic trick.  I felt that demon lord touch my mind from another plane of existence.  Whether it is several invisible energy sources or real magic, the fact is that it exists.  Like all reality, I'm stuck with it.  Time to just deal with it and move on."  CX accepted and donned the amulet.  He watched Red Hawk close his eyes and concentrate.  His amulet falls into nothingness, just as Dr. Arcane had said it would.  CX followed suit and was intrigued when his amulet, too, has seemed to vanish.  "Thought controlled energy manipulation...  Not that different than my own Synaptic Interface Circuit.  I'll have to study this amulet, in detail, later..."

David gently took the amulet from the mystic guardian and though he no longer had access to his chi as he once had, he could still sense its arcane power. “Alien dimensions ... alien worlds? This is not why I left behind the Temple and my so-called Destiny. I belong here on Earth, hunting in the shadows. It is here in Megalopolis alleys and backstreets I can do the most good. Starting with Oracle's lead on a Pentacle cell here in the city.”

After accepting the amulet from Dr. Arcane, Starbolt thought to himself “Abra-Cadabra, disappearus-nowus. Cool, looks like it has faded away."

Thunderhead accepted the magical amulet and inspected it with care. Thunderhead studied the amulet expecting it to be an ancient relic instead it appeared very contemporary, to the late 1920s that is. It appeared that Dr. Arcane crafted and enchanted them himself.

The Black Orchid took the amulet and put it on. "Oh no! it works too well" she joked, a smile appearing on her face moments before all of her disappeared altogether. She quickly reappeared and then said to the others, "Sorry couldn't help myself. I think some of you might not know that I can now turn myself invisible, at least for a little while, and that's how I was able to sneak in and do so much damage to the tower. I figured a demonstration was better than just telling you." She then made the amulet disappear on its own. "That, and I wanted to see the effect on the amulet without having to wait for the heat of the battle."

Dr Arcane smiled as all taken had the amulet and many had put it on. “We have to prepare to retrieve the last artifact but first I need appoint a new team leader.” A magical beam appeared from the gem holding Dr. Arcane’s cloak. The beam engulfed DarkStar and Adamas. Neither of them was harmed.

“Most would expect the choice to be the Guardian with the most experienced or have the greatest physical prowess. That is not why Agent America or Magus was selected. They both contained an inner strength needed to resist the traps of the Domain.”

“While DarkStar does have internal fortitude, he does not have what is needed. In fact, his dependence on this dimension’s sunlight to heal is why he will not going you on your next mission. He will still have his amulet so he will be able to offer advice and guidance.”

“Adamas too is missing what is needed. His valor and strength, as well as knowledge of the Domain make him as excellent assistant leader. He will function as second in command.”

The magical beam focused on both Starbolt and Centurion X bathing them in its glow.

“Starbolt while young has great heroism within him but he does not have what I seek”

Starbolt listened as one by one all are bathed in the Doctors light and are scanned for whatever "It Factor" that was necessary to lead this team.

“Centurion X while your path has been wrought with mistakes you are on a path destined for honor and greatness. Unfortunately you do not have what is required either.”

As the light show held him, momentarily, in the spotlight, CX was amazed at Dr. Arcane's insight.  He thought, "Well, he has amulets that can go invisible when you want them to.  I suppose it would be just as easy to read our thoughts.  If you are reading my mind, Sir, then you know that I am only protecting my identity so that I can do good."  With that, CX filled his mind with complex equations that he visualized in front of himself.  Keeping his mind occupied, his heart came to a dramatic conclusion...

The magical beam focused on the shadows where the Archer was standing.

“Ah, this one has what I am looking forward but he is not prepared to step into the light”

As the Doctor's beam plays across him and he heard the Doctors judgment he nodded at the elder vigilante’s wisdom. "Thank you. You are right sir. It is not my time to join the Guardians today. There are other fronts in this battle and I must remain in Megalopolis to fight them. If the war goes ill and I am needed again as at Stonehenge I will be there if needed."

Dr Arcane replied, “That is commendable and understandable. Keep the amulet. Do not wear it unless you want to speak to me or you want me to know your location. Keep it in a safe location. This way you can reach the Guardians when needed and we can signal to you when we need you.”

Archer slipped the amulet in a pocket.

The shadows slipped around the dark archer as Doctor Arcane's mystic beam slid to the next Guardian.

The magical beam focused on Thunderhead.

“So you are indeed the man I had heard of in my youth. It seems I am not the only one that the Domain has altered time for. While the Guardians need your prowess you are not the leader that is needed”.

When the responsibility of leadership passed over him, Thunderhead was relieved.
 
The magical beam focused on Black Orchid.

As the magical beam of Dr. Arcane started to bath those in the room one by one, Red Hawk listened as the Doctor announced he was searching for the team's newest leader. His shock as Adamas and DarkStar are passed over was barely noticeable but even his android emotions cannot be held totally in check as Megalopolis greatest heroes simply acknowledge the Doctor's decision. “If not them then who?”, As the beams glided over each member, finally resting on Black Orchid Dr. Arcane announced she had what was needed for the coming venture; Chris nodded approvingly at the choice

Dr Arcane asked her, “Will you lead the Guardians?”

"I'm not leadership material for a band of heroes, at least not yet. Also, my record for leading things is a little spotty." Then Black Orchid's thought seemed to go somewhere else, to a different time, and then she immediately snapped back. "But I am more than happy to be a right hand and will support whoever is chosen."

Dr. Arcane gave a nod of understanding.

Red Hawk was almost as shocked as earlier when she spurned the Doctor's offer of leadership.

. . . But not as surprised as when the beam turned to Red Hawk and it glows in agreement.

Dr Arcane said, “Interesting, this one has the potential. While young and inexperienced, he has something old hidden within him. He does not contain the essence of Freedom Eagle like Shatterman does but there is some kind of memory.”

Chris just stared at the Dr. Arcane for a moment and his thoughts focused on the Doctor was surprised when he felt the amulet's power as question upon question come to mind. "Me? Potential? How do you know of Bri ... err Condor and Shatterman's connection to Freedom Eagle?”

When the beam landed on Red Hawk, and proclaimed that he had been chosen, Starbolt thought, "He seemed a bit reserved on our mission, but that may be a good thing. Maybe a leader who is not too quick to fight, when strategy would be better is what this team needs."


When it landed upon Red Hawk, the man of yesterday was surprised. Thunderhead hadn't expected to serve with, let alone under, an automaton. The future's surprises seemed without end.

Dr Arcane asked, “Joshua, I can’t tell what it is because it’s not a force of the world but something man has created through science. Would you please investigate?”

 Chris silently nodded as he listened to the Doctor's explanation and agreed to follow DarkStar. The little felt emotion of fear slithered coldly through Red Hawk's synthezoid logic processing units, but for reasons he could not rationalize he trusted the Doctor the same as if it were Brian and Dennis asking him to do the same. DarkStar smiled as he clasped Chris's shoulder and...

**WHOUMP**

While we wait for them to return, Pietor please provide some refreshment. Donnah will you see to our guests needs. As they turned to follow they saw, for the first time for some, that she was made completely out of wind.

As the strange denizens of the 21st century engaged him, Thunderhead responded with interest and courtesy. When there was a lull in the conversation; the historian in him gave him no choice but to continue absorbing the wonders of this building's collection. But before long, Thunderhead began to grow impatient. He was sent here for a purpose.

**WHOUMP**

When DarkStar and Red Hawk return there was little noticeable change in the red white and blue clad hero, but still he seemed more focused, his eyes more analytical than before. Where once there was the studious look of a young man, now there was visage of one ready to lead. Chris simply nodded and smiled at each of the new Guardians with the addition of a slight bow to Adamas. Taking a seat next to his friend Starbolt he listened with care to the rest of Dr. Arcane's briefing

Dr Arcane spoke to the rest of the Guardians. “To lead this team into the Domain, you need not a leader of great experience or charisma. You need one who can withstand the attacks of Cr’tgerof himself. Red Hawk will be able. Do not worry for he will not lead alone. Both Joshua and I will advise him and he will have Adamas and Black Orchid to support him in the field.”

“But before the Guardians can defeat the Domain, the Quest must be completed”.

“The last remaining artifact is the Soul-Scythe. It has been stolen by Glenn Jacco. He has taken it to Easter Island. The Tarot Masters have magic wards and protections in place which are hiding it and him from me.”

Leaning over to the star-hero Red Hawk whispered "Soul-Scythe huh? I wonder if it is a weapon we could use against Cr'tgerof?"

Starbolt replied to his statement, "Maybe, or it may simply be a focus for the other items. Congratulations on the leadership position. You can count on me to, I got your back."

"Thanks SB, I hope I can live up to Doctor Arcane's expectations. Suddenly have access to ... my predecessor's tactical acumen doesn't give the experience some of the others have. I'll need everyone's input to make this work."

"Easter Island... Rapa Nui. Over 1,000 miles to the nearest other island... Over 2,000 miles to the mainland Chile... We will truly be on our own." The Black orchid pondered Dr. Avery's words.

With that, the conversation turned to the Domains and our prospects at winning.  CX told of his plans to create a new suit that will function properly in the Domain.  He also had heard that there wasn't much metal in the demons dimension.  He fashioned a block of steel heavy enough that he could carry it on his suit but not having to use his magnetic control to do so.

Red Hawk said “The armored one certainly seems eager to get back into the battle again doesn't he?"

To the rest of the assembled heroes, Starbolt said. "I know that some of us are chomping at the bit to get going, but what is the state of the Intel we have on the Domain."

"I do agree, Starbolt, a good battle plan is needed, although it does seem there are a few things we need to do beforehand, so hopefully those with a more strategic mindset will be working on that while some of us attend to other matters."

“And good to see you Starbolt”, Black Orchid said.

Dr. Arcane agreed as well. “The plan has to be two steps. First is finding Jacco on Easter Island and securing the Soul-Scythe. Second is to enter the Domain to stop them from ever invading again.

As the superheroes of this century began planning, Thunderhead stayed in the background listening. The man of yesteryear still had much to learn.

When Starbolt asked for intel on the Domain, Thunderhead waited until everyone had given their input, and then he said:
"I can share what I know. Agent America recently escaped imprisonment in the Domain. There, he met a man named Nomad who can walk between dimensions. Nomad and Agent America are gathering heroes from across the dimensions to form a resistance against the Domain and to free the prisoners of Cr’tegorf’s Castle, that include heroes from your time: Meganaut from the Super Forces, Blitzkrieg from the New Super Society, and Telecom.

"So far, Agent America and Nomad have recruited Cougar, Conquistador, Night Wraith, Machinist, and me for the resistance. Slowly, so as not to attract attention of the Enemy.  I am here on their behalf. 

"Glenn Jacco is still alive here in 2013. I've been sent to stop him, again. I first met that corrupt sorcerer in 1931. He made a pact with demons and almost became the ruler of the world. Jacco has a gate to the Domain on Easter Island. It's the only way to bring more than a single hero through at a time."

After listening to the Domain intel. report and Thunderhead's info on the Domain Resistance, CX piped up.

"It’s nice to know that we might have some back up.  Is there any way you can communicate with them to coordinate our efforts?  I happen to agree with Starbolt in that a timely arrival can mean the difference between victory and defeat."

Thunderhead replied to CX, "I have no way to communicate with the resistance. But I have two compasses that will guide us to the rendezvous point. I was instructed to give one to Adamas when we entered the Domain and say: "Don't worry." Thunderhead faced the man of adamant, "When you are in the Domain, you will know how to use it."

CX listened and absorbed the plan for finding the Scythe.  He seemed unusually quiet as the plans are discussed.  He took the time to watch everyone in the room.  Though quiet, he seemed attentive to the matters at hand.  He responded when asked for his opinions or capabilities but did not offer up any plans or alternate solutions. 

When all talk was finished, Thunderhead had but one question: "How soon can we get to Easter Island?"

Dr Arcane replied, “Pietor and I have two more recruits to bring to us and Red Hawk has to decide when the team can be ready.”

After the plans are discussed, Centurion X approached Dark Star.

"If you wouldn't mind, can I have a moment of your time?   I need to speak with you, Adamas, Dr. Arcane and Red Hawk.  It is very important.  Can you arrange that for me after everyone else leaves?"

CX was social with his new found friends and comrades. But when the other members of the guardians had left, CX remained.  He looked at the gathered might and wisdom before him and was humbled.  Though lacking the experience, Red hawk was chosen to lead.  CX respected that choice.

"I asked Dark Star to speak to all of you.  I have no doubt that the things I am about to say and do will be no surprise to Dr. Arcane.  To some of you, it may be a shock and may even anger you.  That, however, is not my purpose.  By my own nature, I have a lot of difficulty trusting others.  But I also know that asking for trust, without offering it first, is ridiculous.  I would have preferred to share this with the group as a whole, but I have come to realize that several of our members have obligations to government agencies that would really like to see my head on a stick right now.  Sharing this with them and asking to not pass it along would place them in a moral quandary that I am not willing to inflict upon my new teammates.  Each of you, however, holds a place of leadership with all of us.  Whether it be an official position or one of simple respect and trust, each of you hold sway with the entire group.  That is why I trust you with this."

CX entered the code and unlatched his helmet.  He slowly lifted the crafted technology from his head to reveal the face of Alexander DeBrandt, owner of DBI and the man convicted for his crimes as Devastator. 

{GM Note Devastator was a recurring, powered suit villain for the Indestructibles.  The Devastator suit was designed to do massive amounts of damage.}



Joshua watched as CX lifted the helmet revealing his identity as the multi-billionaire industrialist Alexander DeBrandt. “Has Gaunt lost his mind? I can't believe Huffington has sanctioned this. Samuels yes but Huffington? I knew CX was tied to DeBrandt; I just had no clue how close that tie was.”

Centurion X continued speaking, "Trust cannot be earned without first being given freely.  I am very used to 'doing my own thing’ Stonehenge proved that.  I don't want to keep secrets from this team.  I don't want this to come out later and have any of you assumed I was doing it for personal gain.  I have so much to atone for.  That is why I legally segregated myself from Devastator.  That is why I built this new suit.  People have been hurt because of me.  It’s obvious that I don't know how to be a hero.  I want to save lives.  I want to protect people.  The woman earlier asked if I was trying to protect everyone or just find a quick fix.  The answer is yes.”

His initial shock subsided and CX continued his impassioned explanation, Joshua's hyper-intellect started fitting various other pieces of information together. “That explained the DoD's 'invitation' to bid on several defense contracts that until recently belonged to DeBrandt Industries. Samuel's apparent hostility about what happened at Stonehenge. He's trying to use CX's actions as a reason to break DeBrandt Industries ... but why?”

CX said, “I have been the villain.  I know the heart of darkness and what Cr'tgerof will do with the people of our world is an image that I can more than imagine.  In that moment, I had to do something.  Our leadership was broken, our ranks shattered.  All I could see was preventing the Domain from conquering our world.  I needed to stop them, in that moment and not a second longer. I need your help.  I need your trust and I need your wisdom and guidance.  Without it, I fear, I may find myself on the wrong side again, trying to protect but doing it badly.  I ask that this information not leave this room.  Too many of my employees and their families will suffer for it getting out.  They may suffer for my actions yet."

Alex straightened his back and lifted his chin.  Trust was a risky business with no guarantees.  He stood and awaited their judgment.  For good or ill, he had extend his hand in truth and asked for their forbearance.  He can only hope they will respond positively.

Joshua made a heavy sigh, trust comes every bit as hard for him as Alex himself just admitted to.   Turning to Dr. Arcane, Joshua asked "Doc, I assume you're his sponsor with the DSA? Same as when Adamas and I started out?" Then looking back to DeBrandt, "You have an opportunity here, don't blow it with false heroics. When you're in the Domain I strongly suggest you watch Starbolt and Adamas, they're actions exemplify how a hero is suppose to act. Listen to Black Orchid and Thunderhead. She is smart as they come and he has experience of the past we can all learn from." ... nodding to Red Hawk,” ... and our young android friend here has recently tapped into potential even he was unaware of. He will lead you well."

The android took Centurion X’s news stoically. While not the same, his own past does not allow for him to cast stones on another's darker past. He would give CX the same opportunity Brian and Dennis gave him. A chance to prove he was more than his previous actions, that had chose to stride a different path than his past.

Waiting until Alex and Joshua drift to one side discussing matters of industry he had less than no knowledge of he approached the doctor before he disappeared. "Pardon me Doctor Arcane. You say our first mission is to retrieve the Soul-Scythe from Glenn Jacco. I assume you have transport to Easter Island for the team?

“Both Pietor or DarkStar has the ability to take you there. If you don’t want their method, which is very direct but has the element of going in blind. I could arrange for CHESS to provide the Guardians with a transport vehicle.” Dr. Arcane replied

“Is Pietor or DarkStar taking us there?”

“You will have to ask them yourself Red Hawk. That is part of being leader deciding on how much intel you need before going and how you are going in; fast but blind or slow with sight are just two options to consider.”

 “Will they be joining us?”

“Only if you choose them to transport the Guardians but they most likely will not stay. I know Joshua told me he has other important activities to perform instead of making the trip. Pietor has incredible power but has too much of the ‘ends justifies the means’ mindset for me. Red Hawk, you are welcome to ask him to join the team if you like. I won’t prohibit it.”

 “What powers does Jacco wield?

“He is very intelligent, equal to any of the Guardian team members. He has the ability and endurance to withstand the elements. He has the hands of a demon, including the claws. He can draw the very life from a man with his touch. He also wields the Soul-Syckle. It is a destroyer of souls and protects the soul of its wielder”.

“ Is the Scythe a weapon we can use to destroy Cr’tgerof?”

“Yes, It is a terrible burden to wield but it can be used as weapon against Cr’tgerof. Will it destroy him? It all depends on the wielder. It provides no guarantees, Red Hawk”.

Cr’tgerof tempted half of our heroes at Stonehenge and I can only think his power is greater on his own home world . . . I apologize for asking so many questions but this is so sudden and not what I expected when I was asked to attend this meeting."

Dr Arcane smiled, “No apologies needed. This is what a good leader does.”

Then they heard Donnah scream.

In less than a blink of the eye Dr. Arcane disappeared.

**********************

Outside on the Mansion’s back lawn a single man sat.



Considering how long the last one hundred plus years had been, the last week should have been gone by in a flash. But the days had dragged on, with endless poking and prodding from one type of doctor and another, followed by countless questions from one type of lawman and another.

All the Kid had wanted to do was eat and sleep. Well, it wasn't all he wanted to do, but after all this time, it was a start. He guessed that he had eventually satisfied the procession of lawmen that he was telling the truth, even if they weren't satisfied with the truth he was telling. Eventually he'd been handed off to Mr. Delta, and from Mr. Delta to Doctor Avery; for help "getting settled", he said.

The Kid wasn't interesting in resettlement, so much as he just wanted to get out from all the artificial lights and concrete and feel some fresh air on his face and grass under his boots. The Doctor and his granddaughter had been nice enough, letting him bed down on what he'd come to call the "back acre", and spending time talking to him about the changes that had happened to the world during the time he'd spent in Hell.

The mottled grey Mustang raised his head and snorted at the cowboy, sending sulfurous smoke curling from each nostril. The Kid shook his head and settled further back against the big oak he sat against.

"Little early to be gettin' restless, isn't it, y'old broomtail?" The Kid took a cheroot from his shirt pocket, and lit the hard, thin cigar with a match struck against his boot. "We been riding for over a century, and right now, I'm just as happy sleeping out here in the grass as I would be in bed at some fancy San Francisco hotel."

The cowboy drew on the cigar, and then exhaled the smoke through his nose. “Course, we don’t want to overstay our welcome. Doc Avery and his folks have been mighty kind, but we’re gonna have to find some honest work for ourselves.”

He took a long while to stare up through the trees. “Truth be told, though, I don’t know who’d be fool enough hire on a couple of curiosities like us.”

Then they heard Dr. Avery’s granddaughter scream.

Next they saw Dr Arcane’s man servant smash through the plate glass windows of the back of the Mansion. He crashed onto the ground beyond the pool.

**********************

In the Mansion DarkStar was conferencing with CX in the corner of the library.

"You should know StarCorp has been invited to bid on several defense contracts that belonged to DeBrandt. I plan taking the lead on as many of those contracts as possible. It's up to you but I'm offering to buy those divisions of DeBrandt and keeping those workers employed if you're willing to sell. You won't make a profit, but the liquidity offers you a chance to reinvest in new projects. Personally I've been thinking of looking for a partner to enlarge and upgrade a number of the company’s aerospace divisions, particularly for a couple satellite and StarDagger projects."

Then they heard Donnah scream.

***WHOUMP***

DarkStar suddenly appeared in Donnah’s bed room. In his haste it hadn’t occurred to him to bring Centurion X with him. Donnah was not there. He quickly consulted his gauntlet.

***WHOUMP***

The Cobalt Commander appeared in the Kitchen. Donnah wasn’t there either. In frustration he screamed and asked Cybil why she wasn’t locking onto Donnah’s coordinates. Cybil replied that Donnah’s heat signature was too faint. Joshua quickly changed the algorithm not to search for heat but for significant and unusual wind patterns. Since Donnah had been magically transformed into a Wind Elemental when she had been kidnapped by Occult and taken to the Domain he knew that would be the best way lock onto her position.

***WHOUMP***

{GM Note: DarkStar failed his Detect Hidden with Companion (Cybil) bonus roll twice before rolling successfully}

**********************
Then they heard Donnah scream.

The remaining Guardians quickly gathered together. Thunderhead pointed out the weather conditions were changing. Someone was controlling it. Centurion X tried to use his suit’s sensors to detect where Donnah was but was not able to {GM Note: Failed Detect Hidden roll}

Red Hawk used his sensors to determine that Donnah had been in the back of the house in the room nearest to the pool {GM Note: Successful Detect Hidden roll}

As the Guardians ran and flew toward the back of the Mansion Adamas lead the way. He used his Ethereal Vision to scan the room at the back of the house.  He didn’t see her but he did see a short man he hadn’t seen before. The man lifted up on the air, flew out the shattered window and past the pool. Adamas tried to follow him with his gaze but the back wall of the Mansion blocked his view. His Ethereal Vision couldn’t penetrate the wall’s thickness.

**********************

Earlier in back of the Mansion, Pietor prepared the floor for the summoning. “Ask him nicely? Blah, how much longer will I allow myself to listen to his platitudes?” Pietor thought to himself. “There are those meant to lead. They have the power and the ability. All the others are meant to follow. Does a shepherd ask the sheep if they want to be part of the flock? Does he reach a consensus with them on where the greenest pastures are? No he does not!”

Pietor tossed the reagents into the summoning circle as he spoke the words of binding. A shadowy figure appeared. The figure slowly became solid. Pietor locked eyes with the man as Dr Arcane’s apprentice said the words that bound the man to the wizard’s will.



Then they heard Donnah scream.

 Pietor look toward the doorway, he had not seen her enter the room.

**********************

The man known as Jack fought back the anger. It had been centuries since a Magi had successfully bound him. He had been forced to do the Magi’s bidding but he never did it with joy and happiness. When he escaped the binding his wrath was a terrible thing to behold. He had destroyed entire villages in the effort to wreck his vengeance on the summoning Mage.

Jack met the gaze of the current Magi that would dare to perform this act. He fought the binding spell with all his willpower.

Then they heard a woman scream.

Jack Frost watched a tornado form from within her hands. The twister blasted the Mage outside through the windows. The wind woman flew out the broken windows after the Magi.

Jack felt the command, “Protect Me”; he lifted himself up on the wind. He flew out the same way the others had gone. He moved to the left of the Mage which was opposite of the woman who had flown to the right side. As he floated into a fighting position another Magi appeared, floating, opposite of his Summoner.

As Pietor stood up, the Guardians arrived at the back of the house in time to see the standoff that was occurring.



<Replies and Actions due Mar 29nd>

Battle Conditions:
Adamas                        Hit Points: 47    Power Points:   78         Invulnerability: 24
Black Orchid                 Hit Points: 30    Power Points:   74         Willpower Defense inactive
Centurion X                   Hit Points: 66    Power Points:   35         Magnetic Defense inactive
DarkStar                       Hit Points: 90    Power Points: 110         Invulnerability: 30
Hellfire Kid                    Hit Points: 13    Power Points:   58         Non Corporealness inactive
     Mystical Mustang     Hit Points: 25    Power Points:   42         Non Corporealness inactive
Jack Frost                    Hit Points:   8    Power Points:   53         Ice Defense active
Red Hawk                     Hit Points: 49    Power Points:   28         Invulnerability: 10
Starbolt                                    Hit Points: 34    Power Points:   51         Creation Points: 75
Thunderhead                 Hit Points: 43    Power Points:   83         Height: 6 ft

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Dave and Tom

Wow Tom excellent use of a ton of role-play material. Really liked the way you rewrote DarkStar's Side shot and weave it with the Red Hawk story. So many things are going on I'm definitely going to have to reread it at least another time or two.

OOC: The following is inspired from the story itself. I wanted to test the waters on a side role-play of sorts and make sure I wasn't assuming too much character knowledge from player knowledge. I was thinking that from CX suggesting StarCorp work with DeBrandt on a defense system and the Issue mentioning StarCorp invited to bid on projects that had been DeBrandt's that it would become known to Joshua that DeBrandt was under pressure if not prosecution. I was thinking if Joshua thought any of DeBrandts technology would speed up his StarDagger Project he would offer to buy out those divisions of DeBrandt at a price just above what companies like Manning would offer. Also I can't remember if Senator Bennet is one of the politicians he has worked with but his previous experiences dealing with Senators as he built his Diatanium factories and Meta-Manpower might come into play. If we are going to build that satellite then we are going to need a few politicians on our side :-)

Like I said just testing the idea of a bit of Side Shot RP. If interested please let me know where off if any of the above makes sense to either of you. In Character stuff to come.

Awesome Issue Tom

John R
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:  Sa-Weet!  I really enjoyed this issue.  All of the character interactions are making for a lot of fun!

IC:  CX listens and absorbs the plan for finding the Scythe.  He seems unusually quiet as the plans are discussed.  He takes the time to watch everyone in the room.  Though quiet, he seems attentive to the matters at hand.  He will respond when asked for his opinions or capabilities but will not offer up any plans or alternate solutions.  After the plans are discussed, he will approach Dark Star.

"If you wouldn't mind, can I have a moment of your time?   I need to speak with you, Adamas, Dr. Arcane and Red Hawk.  It is very important.  Can you arrange that for me after everyone else leaves?"

CX will be social with his new found friends and comrades. <This means I'm open to other RP as well...  hint hint!> But when the other members of the guardians have left, CX remains.  He looks at the gathered might and wisdom before him and is humbled.  Though lacking the experience, Red hawk was chosen to lead.  CX respects that choice.

"I asked Dark Star to speak to all of you.  I have no doubt that the things I am about to say and do will be no surprise to Dr. Arcane.  To some of you, it may be a shock and may even anger you.  That, however, is not my purpose.  By my own nature, I have a lot of difficulty trusting others.  But I also know that asking for trust, without offering it first, is ridiculous.  I would have preferred to share this with the group as a whole, but I have come to realize that several of our members have obligations to government agencies that would really like to see my head on a stick right now.  Sharing this with them and asking to not pass it along would place them in a moral quandary that I am not willing to inflict upon my new teammates.  Each of you, however, holds a place of leadership with all of us.  Whether it be an official position or one of simple respect and trust, each of you hold sway with the entire group.  That is why I trust you with this."

CX enters the code and unlatches his helmet.  He slowly lifts the crafted technology from his head to reveal the face of Alexander DeBrandt, owner of DBI and the man convicted for his crimes as Devastator.  ***For campaign info: Devastator was a recurring, powered suit villain for the Indestructibles.  The Devastator suit was designed to do massive amounts of damage.***


"Trust cannot be earned without first being given freely.  I am very used to 'doing my own thing’ Stonehenge proved that.  I don't want to keep secrets from this team.  I don't want this to come out later and have any of you assumed I was doing it for personal gain.  I have so much to atone for.  That is why I legally segregated myself from Devastator.  That is why I built this new suit.  People have been hurt because of me.  It’s obvious that I don't know how to be a hero.  I want to save lives.  I want to protect people.  The woman earlier asked if I was trying to protect everyone or just find a quick fix.  The answer is yes.  I have been the villain.  I know the heart of darkness and what Cr'teforg will do with the people of our world is an image that I can more than imagine.  In that moment, I had to do something.  Our leadership was broken, our ranks shattered.  All I could see was preventing the Domain from conquering our world.  I needed to stop them, in that moment and not a second longer.  I need your help.  I need your trust and I need your wisdom and guidance.  Without it, I fear, I may find myself on the wrong side again, trying to protect but doing it badly.  I ask that this information not leave this room.  Too many of my employees and their families will suffer for it getting out.  They may suffer for my actions yet."

Alex straightens his back and lifts his chin.  Trust is a risky business with no guarantees.  He stands and awaits their judgment.  For good or ill, he has extend his hand in truth and asked for their forbearance.  He can only hope they will respond positively.

Dave
------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:  As to the DarkStar/DeBrandt side shot, I have no problem with getting there in RP.  I just posted an IC response that may lead us in that direction...  maybe.  LOL  I suggest we RP the side shot with emails between us after the RP in Sanctum Arcanum (Doc Arcane's House) 

I believe we can do some awesome RP with this.  Wow, did I just place my youth in the 80's or what?!

Dave
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am good with the side shot. I agree that Dave has taken care of any issue with PC knowledge..

Best
Tom
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great issue Tom.

Jamey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Red Hawk IC: Response and Actions>

Taking the proffered amulet from Dr. Arcane, Chris slipped the amulet around his head. He was sure he did not understand how it's magic was suppose to function, but then he had so much to learn about the world being ignorant of one more field of study was hardly a surprise. Focusing on memories of Black Orchid becoming invisible at the Tower, he focused on the amulet and ... it disappeared. Fascinating.

As the magical beam of Dr. Arcane starts to bath those in the room one by one, Red Hawk listens as the Doctor announces he is searching for the team's newest leader. His shock as Adamas and DarkStar are passed over is barely noticeable but even his android emotions cannot be held totally in check as Megalopolis greatest heroes simply acknowledge the Doctor's decision. If not them then who? As the beams glides over each member, finally resting on Black Orchid Dr. Arcane announces she had what was needed for the coming venture; Chris nodded approvingly at the choice ... and is almost as shocked as earlier when she spurns the Doctor's offer of leadership.

. . . but not as surprised as when the beam turns to Red Hawk and it glows in agreement.

Chris just stares at the Dr. Arcane for a moment and his thoughts focused on the Doctor is surprised when he feels the amulet's power as question upon question come to mind. "Me? Potential? How do you know of Bri ... err Condor and Shatterman's connection to Freedom Eagle? Chris silently nods as he listens to the Doctor's explanation and agrees to follow DarkStar. The little felt emotion of fear slithers coldly through Red Hawk's synthezoid logic processing units, but for reasons he cannot rationalize he trust the Doctor the same as if it were Brian and Dennis asking him to do the same. DarkStar smiles as he clasp Chris's shoulder and ... *Whoump*

*Whoump* ... When DarkStar and Red Hawk return there is little noticeable change in the red white and blue clad hero, but still he seems more focused, his eyes more analytical than before. Where once there was the studious look of a young man, now there was visage of one ready to lead. Chris simply nods and smiles at each of the new Guardians with the addition of a slight bow to Adamas. Taking a seat next to his friend Starbolt he listens with care to the rest of Dr. Arcane's briefing. Leaning over to the star-hero he whispers "Soul-Scythe huh? I wonder if it is a weapon we could use against Cr'tgerof?"


OOC: More to come with more RP in play
John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC:  So, John...  How many characters you gonna play anyway???   LOL

Dave
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
IC:

CX thinks to himself as the amulets are distributed.  "Magic amulet?  It’s uncomfortable to just accept it, but, my own suit operates off Aetheric principles that most modern scientists call bunk.  If there exists an extra dimensional energy that interacts with our own reality but is nearly undetectable by normal means, then there can certainly be manipulation of other unseen forces yet to be discovered or explained by science.  I suppose that many scientists would call my Aetheric Generator a magic trick.  I felt that demon lord touch my mind from another plane of existence.  Whether it is several invisible energy sources or real magic, the fact is that it exists.  Like all reality, I'm stuck with it.  Time to just deal with it and move on."  CX accepts and dons the amulet.  He watches Red hawk close his eyes and concentrate.  His amulet falls into nothingness, just as Dr. Arcane had said it would.  CX follows suit and is intrigued when his amulet, too, has seemed to vanish.  "Thought controlled energy manipulation...  Not that different than my own Synaptic Interface Circuit.  I'll have to study this amulet, in detail, later..."

***

As the light show holds him, momentarily, in the spotlight, CX is amazed at Dr. Arcane's insight.  He thinks, "Well, he has amulets that can go invisible when you want them to.  I suppose it would be just as easy to read our thoughts.  If you are reading my mind, Sir, then you know that I am only protecting my identity so that I can do good."  With that, CX fills his mind with complex equations that he visualizes in front of himself.  Keeping his mind occupied, his heart comes to a dramatic conclusion...

Dave
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
After accepting the amulet from Dr. Arcane, Starbolt  thinks to himself  "Abra-Cadabra, disappearus-nowus. Cool, looks like it has faded away." He listens as one by one all are bathed in the Doctors light and are scanned for whatever "It Factor" that is necessary to lead this team. When the beam lands on Red Hawk, and proclaims that he has been chosen, Starbolt thinks "He seemed a bit reserved on our mission, but that may be a good thing. Maybe a leader who is not to quick to fight, when strategy would be better is what this team needs."

When Red Hawk returns and sits beside him, he will reply to his statement, "Maybe, or it may simply be a focus for the other items. Congratulations on the leadership position. You can count on me to, I got your back."

OOC: more to come with more role-play,
Jamey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The magical beam focused on the shadows where the Archer was standing. 
“Ah, this one has what I am looking forward but he is not prepared to step into the light”

<Archer: IC> David gently took the amulet from the mystic guardian and though he no longer had access to his chi as he once had, he could still sense its arcane power. Alien dimensions ... alien worlds? This is not why I left behind the Temple and my so-called Destiny. I belong here on Earth, hunting in the shadows. It is here in Megalopolis alleys and backstreets I can do the most good. Starting with Oracle's lead on a Pentacle cell here in the city.

As the Doctor's beam plays across him and he hears the Doctors judgment he nods at the elder vigilante’s wisdom. "Thank you. You are right sir. It is not my time to join the Guardians today. There are other fronts in this battle and I must remain in Megalopolis to fight them. If the war goes ill and I am needed again as at Stonehenge I will be there if needed." The shadows slip around the dark archer as Doctor Arcane's mystic beam slides to the next Guardian.

<OOC: Side shot to soon follow>

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does Archer give the amulet back, keep it but not wear it, or wears it?

Thanks

Tom
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer IC: Archer will slip the amulet in a pocket for now fully expecting Dr. Arcane to ask David to return it before he leaves the mansion.

John
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thunderhead:

OOC: Nice job, Tom, as always!
Very cool, DWayne! Wish I could react in character to that!

IC:

Thunderhead accepted the magical amulet and inspected it with care. (OOC: Archaeology skill: What culture/time period is this from?)

When the responsibility of leadership passed over him, Thunderhead was relieved.  When it landed upon Red Hawk, the man of yesterday was surprised. He hadn't expected to serve with, let alone under, an automaton. The future's surprises seemed without end.
If any of the strange denizens of the 21st century engaged him, Thunderhead would respond with interest and courtesy.  If left to his own devices, the historian in him gave him no choice but to continue absorbing the wonders of this building's collection. But before long, he was beginning to grow impatient. He was sent here for a purpose.

When all talk was finished, Thunderhead had but one question: "How soon can we get to Easter Island?"
Jeff
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Black Orchid took the amulet and put it on. "Oh no! it works too well" she joked, a smile appearing on her face moments before all of her disappeared altogether. She quickly reappears and then says to the others, "Sorry couldn't help myself. I think some of you might not know that I can now turn myself invisible, at least for a little while, and that's how I was able to sneak in and do so much damage to the tower. I figured a demonstration was better than just telling you." She then makes the amulet disappear on its own. "That, and I wanted to see the effect on the amulet without having to wait for the heat of the battle."

Marc
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering how long the last one hundred plus years had been, the last week should have been gone by in a flash. But the days had dragged on, with endless poking and prodding from one type of doctor and another, followed by countless questions from one type of lawman and another.

All the Kid had wanted to do was eat and sleep. Well, it wasn't all he wanted to do, but after all this time, it was a start. He guessed that he had eventually satisfied the procession of lawmen that he was telling the truth, even if they weren't satisfied with the truth he was telling. Eventually he'd been handed off to Delta, and from Delta to Doctor Avery; for help "getting settled", he said.

The Kid wasn't interesting in resettlement, so much as he just wanted to get out from all the artificial lights and concrete and feel some fresh air on his face and grass under his boots. The Doctor and his granddaughter had been nice enough, letting him bed down on what he'd come to call the "back acre", and spending time talking to him about the changes that had happened to the world during the time he'd spent in Hell.

The mottled grey Mustang raised his head and snorted at the cowboy, sending sulfurous smoke curling from each nostril. The Kid shook his head and settled further back against the big oak he sat against.

"Little early to be gettin' restless, isn't it, y'old broomtail?" The Kid took a cheroot from his shirt pocket, and lit the hard, thin cigar with a match struck against his boot. "We been riding for over a century, and right now, I'm just as happy sleeping out here in the grass as I would be in bed at some fancy San Francisco hotel."

The cowboy drew on the cigar, then exhaled the smoke through his nose. “Course, we don’t want to overstay our welcome. Doc Avery and his folks have been mighty kind, but we’re gonna have to find some honest work for ourselves.”

He took a long while to stare up through the trees. “Truth be told, though, I don’t know who’d be fool enough hire on a couple of curiosities like us.”

Joe
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the extension Tom

<Centurion X: IC> He slowly lifts the crafted technology from his head to reveal the face of Alexander DeBrandt, owner of DBI and the man convicted for his crimes as Devastator.

<DarkStar: IC response and actions> Joshua watches as CX lifts the helmet revealing his identity as the multi-billionaire industrialist Alexander DeBrandt. Has Gaunt lost his mind? I can't believe Huffington has sanctioned this. Samuels yes but Huffington? I knew CX was tied to DeBrandt; I just had no clue how close that tie was. His initial shock subsides and CX continues his impassioned explanation, Joshua's hyper-intellect starts fitting various other pieces of information together. That explains the DoD's 'invitation' to bid on several defense contracts that until recently belonged to DeBrandt Industries. Samuel's apparent hostility about what happened at Stonehenge. He's trying to use CX's actions as a reason to break DeBrandt Industries ... but why?

Patiently he waits for DeBrandt to finish. Turning to Dr. Arcane, Joshua ask "Doc, I assume you're his sponsor with the DSA? Same as when Adamas and I started out?" Then looking back to DeBrandt, "You have an opportunity here, don't blow it with false heroics. When you're in the Domain I strongly suggest you watch Starbolt and Adamas, they're actions exemplify how a hero is suppose to act. Listen to Black Orchid and Thunderhead. She is smart as they come and he has experience of the past we can all learn from." ... nodding to Red Hawk, " ... and our young android friend here has recently tapped into potential even he was unaware of. He will lead you well."

A heavy sigh, trust comes every bit as hard for him as Alex himself just admitted to. "You should know, StarCorp has been invited to bid on several defense contracts that belonged to DeBrandt. I plan taking the lead on as many of those contracts as possible. It's up to you but I'm offering to buy those divisions of DeBrandt and keeping those workers employed if you're willing to sell. You won't make a profit, but the liquidity offers you a chance to reinvest in new projects. Personally I've been thinking of looking for a partner to enlarge and upgrade a number of the company’s aerospace divisions, particularly for a couple satellite and StarDagger projects. "

<Starbolt: IC> "Maybe, or it may simply be a focus for the other items. Congratulations on the leadership position. You can count on me to, I got your back."

<Red Hawk: IC response and actions> "Thanks SB, I hope I can live up to Doctor Arcane's expectations. Suddenly have access to ... my predecessor's tactical acumen doesn't give the experience some of the others have. I'll need everyone's input to make this work." After the briefing, Chris excuses himself when DarkStar ask he join him with Dr. Arcane to listen to Centurion X's revelation. The android takes the news stoically. While not the same, his own past does not allow for him to cast stones on another's darker past. He will give CX the same opportunity Brian and Dennis gave him. A chance to prove he is more than his previous actions, that had chose to stride a different path than his past.

Waiting until Alex and Joshua drift to one side discussing matters of industry he had less than no knowledge of he approached the doctor before he disappeared. "Pardon me Doctor Arcane. You say our first mission is to retrieve the Soul-Scythe from Glenn Jacco. I assume you have transport to Easter Island for the team? Is Pietor or DarkStar taking us there? Will they be joining us? What powers does Jacco wield? Is the Scythe a weapon we can use to destroy Cr’tgerof? He tempted half of our heroes at Stonehenge and I can only think his power is greater on his own home world . . . I apologize for asking so many questions but this is so sudden and not what I expected when I was asked to attend this meeting."

John

------------------------------------------------------------------------